Simple radio serial communication

Cinderella

Hello,
I need a way to transfer small amount of data (4 8bit integers + checksum) over wireless.

I'm struggling to find any information dealing with sending serial transmissions over some sort of radio link. Sending is quite simple, but I have no idea how would the receiving end work, as it needs a clock, which can't be provided over radio.

The second thing is I don't really know which technology to choose for the radio. I'm hoping to build something really really simple and cheap. Range wise i'd be happy with a few meters, say 10, in unobstructed space. Transmission speeds of about 10kbit per second would be sufficient, I think at that speed the bandwidth falls within voice range.

I've built a small FM transmitter before but I have no idea how to make both transmitter and the receiver with a fixed tuning that won't drift when the circuit heats up or the antenna changes shape.
I found there are varies of electronic components in kynix semiconductor.But I don't know which chip should buy or deserve to purchase?

Also I realise that this question is a bit vague, and i'm not looking for finished solution, just some pointers on how to address these problems

Thank you

EDIT: I haven't made up my mind yet. The proposed modules are either more expensive or require more work to set up in the configuration that I want. What I think i'm going to do in meantime is build a small FM transmitter with two signal generators, each frequency associated with 0 or 1. I can generate the frequency directly from the MCU on the transmitter end. On the receiver I will do a simple freq filter, that should give me 0 or 1 output, I still have to figure out how to clock it though. In the end total parts will definitely be under £1. i'll try to find some material on data transmissions, maybe there is a better way of doing it.

Welcome to give me your advice !Any suggestions will be appreciated !

Best regards!

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
This forum is geared more towards online radio services for listening to music (you might be better off posting this on a hobby electronics forum or one of those associated with Farnell/CPC/Element 14) - but what you probably want is something like this.

http://arduinobasics.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/433-mhz-rf-module-with-arduino-tutorial.html

The 433 MHz RX/TX modules are fairly cheap and will save you and those around you a lot of headaches - including the risk of bother from Ofcom (I am assuming you are based in the UK) as if you get things wrong you risk causing interference to everyones car alarms, doorbells and all sorts else, which can be a safety hazard.

Our country has the busiest skies in the world and is surrounded on all sides by coast - aircraft and shipping comms takes priority for safety reasons and it is unfortunately very easy to stray out of band with some radio equipment and cause harmful interference without realising this. Take care when using low cost modules sold by foreign suppliers as frequencies that may be legal to use in other countries are not in the UK/Europe (the European allocations of radio frequencies are independent of the EU and national laws still take priority). 433 and 868 MHz are usually safe to use provided the power and duty cycle restrictions are observed (you can find all this on the Ofcom and CEPT/ETSI websites)

Slightly more expensive are the RFM22 type modules but they can work on all sorts of frequencies and protocols with quite strong power and range - I use a couple myself for testing old style pager receivers used at my work (see my blog for some videos of them in action).

Last edited: