A curious question from an "old uncle"

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've noticed a few stations which seem to be interlinked with multi player computer games and their communities. I'm a bit old for the games (was never much of a gamer even in 1980s; preferred stuff like coding/electronics/hacking (the less destructive kind)) but occasionally listen to the radio stations as many have decent EDM mixes.

There's also a show on the community radio station I help out with where some lads talk about computer games and play (I think) heavy metal type music.

Some younger colleagues at work are well into games and they have those headsets and multi channel soundcards and other stuff and rigs with good audio; and are also into music.

What I'm curious about though is how do folk manage to listen and interact with the DJ/presenter at the same time as playing the computer game? as I thought surely you would be distracted by the music; and eaten by monsters/shot at/ crash the aircraft or car you are supposed to be controlling.

Are some of the games different nowadays so people aren't all having wars/fights but using the castles(?) they build to hang around in and chat like my generation did when we had warehouse raves? (but you can all be in different countries cops cannot bust you as your'e not doing anything illegal?) ;)