Anyone have resources on web music licensing?

staticjacket

Hey ladies and gents! I'm in the beginning stages of my open source broadcasting project. To sum it up, I have always wanted to do radio, but was discouraged by the limited choices in stations when I grew up. Not to mention, even if you do find a relatively hip radio station, you still have to adhere to some strict rules that I'm sure I wouldn't be into. I live in the Twin Cities, and do Building Automation for HVAC and lighting systems, and this project is something I could do in my spare time to see if I can will my dream into reality.

So, I'm going to withhold the gritty details, but it's a program that is a hybrid of human interest and music broadcasting. I want to delve into the subjective connection individuals have to music, as well as highlight the fact that music breaks boundaries and brings us together. This vision I have has to incorporate licensed music.

Ideally, I would have the guests say the name of an artist or song, and I would like to be able to mix it in. Maybe not every single song will be able to be played given the licensing issue, but I've heard that you can get a license from BMI and ASPCA which should cover a majority of what I'm trying to do.

I have had a hard time finding a good licensing service that will provide what I need other than going directly through BMI or ASPCA, because they do not pro rate licenses and would have to wait until the first if the year. I also don't know how easy it will be to report the songs used, total listening hours, and such.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi staticjacket,

For this you should contact the the licensing company responsible for licensing in your country. So for example, if you are based in the US then you would need to contact the SoundExchange http://www.soundexchange.com/ or if you are based in the UK then you would need to contact the PPL http://www.ppluk.com/.

With our services, the server control panel software provides such statistics as the total listener hours and track broadcast reports etc. But obviously with your own project you will need to find your own way to implement such features and reports. We use the Centovacast control panel software if that's of any help at all. So you may wish to take a look into it: http://www.centova.com/

We hope this helps and all the best with the project :)

Jamie Havican

https://www.streamlicensing.com/

ascap.png

bmi.png

soundexchange.png

sesac.png

U.S. ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, & SoundExchange
Internet Radio Stream Licensing™
You can get your Internet Radio Station legal today!

***Welcome New Affiliates!***

Our license covers you for YOUR UNITED STATES listeners and includes paying your fees and filing your reports.
We're affordable with monthly affiliate costs from $59.50. Click here to see pricing.

StreamLicensing™ supports Shoutcast Versions 1 & 2 and Icecast-KH

You can use our instantly-legal player and get started right away. This allows you to open your player and launch links under our domain to satisfy U.S. copyright rules. Your listeners will go virtually seamlessly from your website to your player page hosted under our domain. (Use of our player is mandatory for us to cover the new per-performance fees from SoundExchange. We no longer make exceptions for this.)

To see our instantly-legal player Open this website and click on the Play Now! button.(Player works on Shoutcast mp3 and Icecast-KH mp3 and AAC+ streams.)

Includes Bonus, Instant and Legal Apps (IOS and Android) for all your Shoutcast and Icecast-KH streams. Your Apps display your station only. Click Here for more information.

Includes Bonus Playing Now Widget with Album Art for all your Shoutcast and Icecast-KH streams. Click Here to see it!

We Make It Easy! Affordable Music Licensing And Reporting In Five Easy Steps:
  1. Sign up for our service.
  2. Enter your station and stream data. See our F.A.Q. page for more information.
  3. We explain the minor website modifications you MUST make to meet copyright rules. See our F.A.Q. for more information. Use our player or yours (player must be hosted under our domain.)
  4. Once steps 1-3 are completed, install our StreamLicensing™ Validation Banner/Link on your website.
  5. File your monthly Gross Revenue reports using our online report form.
We take care of the rest! For full details see our F.A.Q.

Features Included At No Extra Charge:
  • Custom Content Folder included Free! This allows you to meet copyright law with our branded player and links.
  • Our Agreement allows you to run In-Stream Commercials if you wish.
  • Prompt & Friendly Customer Service.