can icecast server help stream from other radio stations?

oodeez

Hi,

My team has just designed an app that streams other radio channels by listeners IP but I need to know if subscribing to an Icecast server can help our service work.
Basically what I mean is that I won't be broadcasting myself but rather people who use my radio app will be able to listen to several other existing online radio stations from their location through my app, which server should I subscribe for to achieve this.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi oodeez,

If you have no intention of broadcasting a station yourself, then there is no reason why you would need an Icecast server in the first place. This won't help your service work.

oodeez

Thanks for your reply.
The app not only streams online existing radio channels but will also stream mp3 music files on a separate music page.
So, please tell me which servers do you think will work for these. P.s. I'm aware that we'll be combining servers.

oodeez

Great, Icecast should do the job.
However, I may require a custom server because I want the users to be able to select and play songs of their choice from a list of songs on our playlist.

What do you think?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Icecast (and Shoutcast) does not work like that we are afraid. You can set up automated playlists, but it's not possible at all for your listeners to just select any track when they like from a selection of various tracks.

oodeez

Ok, understood.
But since Icecast server is open source, it's possible to integrate a like button feature on each track on the playlist to enable users give instant feedback by liking a track just by clicking the button, you agree?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Yes Icecast is open source, so that's maybe possible? But it would not be so straight forward as to just set something like this up. In all honestly, you would be better of looking into other other alternatives than doing this with Icecast and the Centovacast control panel. Its just not what they are intended for.

Besides, this would be also something that you would have to look into / set up yourself as we would not support this for you.