Change to SHOUTcast

richard slack

At the moment I have a PAYG account using icecast here and I was wondering what would be involved in changing to SHOUTcast?
Does my stream start page: change?
Do I have to get new widgets?
Do I have to have to change Tunein details?

Why do I want to change?
1.ban users>>> I have one who is connecting automatically using icecast icecast 2.3.3 and using up a lot of my credit

2.get more listeners using Shoutcast

3.get album artwork showing in players

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Richard,

In order to change over to Shoutcast, this would mean having to create a whole new account we are afraid. We are not able to change an accounts server type once it has been set upon the initial account creation.

We would need to delete your current account and then recreate it as a Shoutcast server instead. But we would keep your startpage url the same (and account username) and we would be also able to keep your server hostname and port the same. So you should not need to update this information with other directory's such as Tunein.

Just drop us an email to confirm that you would like us to go ahead with this for you, thank you.

richard slack

Everything when smoothly on the change over,great job.
I struggled to get streaming going because I am stupid and had autodj on.
BUT
I thought SHOUTcast and mixxx showed the artwork,but I have none. none with autodj where I know the files have metadata.
none on the widgets.
none on last played centova.
I have checked settings and everything seems ok according to tutorials on internet.

there must be something so simple that Im missing it.

I use Linux ubuntu 14.04

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
No problem at all, glad all is well with the new account.

Haha whoops.

We downloaded some of your AutoDJ files directly from your servers FTP and had a look at them. And the files do have the artwork embedded into the ID3 tags. All of your artwork retrieval settings are correct as well. But we can see that the control panel is just not detecting this information. Was Centova displaying the artwork for the "last played" prior to the account move?

As far as Mixxx is concerned, it seems that it does not currently support cover art: http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/doku.php/cover_art_support

richard slack

Yes prior to account move it displayed artwork everywhere if one of the songs played matched one of the songs in the autoDJ folder.Now it doesnt.

Yes I know Mixxx doesnt support artwork but that is talking aboutthe display here on my screen on the Mixxx program not the internet.

The http://www.radioforest.net/radio/tmefm-radio/754755 radio player shows artwork on the players embedded into my blog (if file has artwork) see screenshot and notice centova widget below doesnot show artwork.

Is this a problem with the new Centova 3.2.1.?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2015-07-28 14:42:25.png
    Screenshot from 2015-07-28 14:42:25.png
    577 KB · Views: 685

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We have just purged your media library for you and then quickly restarted the server and the artwork appears to be displaying for some of the AutoDJ files now. Some still are not showing though so we can only presume that the artwork has not been tagged correctly or perhaps Centova cannot read this from the files.

The control panel might have just not indexed the files correctly when we backed them up from the old account and then imported them again during the account move. By the way, your files are all of varying different bitrates. We highly recommend that you re-encode these all to be at the same bitrate as configured for your stream. Bitrate inconsistency's will cause playback issues with certain players (mainly Flash).

Whilst we did our best to make the move to Shoutcast as simple as possible for you, it might be a case that you have to just re-upload all of your files again. But this would be a good opportunity to re-encode the files and match the bitrates across all of them anyway.

richard slack

just noticed autodj artwork and I will re up files as you suggest:)
but no chance of getting artwork from mixxx to show on SHOUTcast I guess:(

once again thanks for your time

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
No worries.

We are not sure about Mixxx at the moment, we will have to look into that one for you. If anything, we think it will be the files meta data / software rather than Centova being the issue.