dmca rules for internet radio - pre-announcing songs

Sarah1066

Seeking a few views on this clause in the DMCA rules, they state.....'
  • You may not publish any advance program guides or use a chat/discussion function or any other means to pre-announce when a particular song will be played or the order in which songs will be played. DJ "teaser" announcements using artists' names are permitted, but only those that do not specify the time a song will be played.
I have always interpreted this to mean that you should not advertise when songs will be played and what the songs will be.... what time.... what song etc. BUT as the song is about to be played I have always generally announced it ..... i.e. "This is [artist] with a song called [song title]" and then it immediately plays. I never say indicate when a particular song will be played during my shows and ONLY announce it as the song is about to be played.

Someone on our station has sent out an instruction that you can only say what the song title is AFTER the song has played. I believe that this is not what this rule is intended to achieve and it is taking this particular rule a bit too far in its interpretation. Indeed ... often we are introducing the song title over the to of the song during its opening.

Thoughts?