I am new here, general advide for automation please

Ben Edwards

Hi, I have setup a live stream using a Rasbery Pi 3 and darkice (upstreaming to our ISPs server) and it works great. We now want to take it to the next level and as well as streaming live also have scheduled pre-recorded content. The Pi is a quad core 1.2Ghz and darkice is only using around 20% of a single core (i.e. 5% of total CPU) so was hopping I could run some type of web-based scheduling software on the Pi also. We don't need to run a streaming server ourselves, out ISP supplies this.

We are a volunteer run community organization and are keen to use open source software and take a DIY approach.

So what do people advise. What software should we look at and would the Pi3 be powerful enough to run it or should we run it on a more powerful box (i.e. standard PC).

Lastly is this the best place to ask these questions or are there other forums I should looks at.

Regards,
Ben

Ben Edwards

Thanks for that. Should I use Ubuntu core or Raspian, I assume the former.

One last question. We do a mixture of live and pre-recorded/scheduled content. How easy is it to interrupt the schedule and 'go live'.

Ben

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
I would go with Raspbian myself although there shouldn't be too much difference.

I'm not sure on the specifics of how airtime switches between live and scheduled music. An icecast server would allow a seamless transfer between the two by way of fallback mounts. You can look these up in the icecast docs.

Ben Edwards

Thanks, I figured Ubuntu Core was better for a couple of reasons. Firstly its what airtime officially supports (i.e. Ubuntu). Secondly, it is more up to date. Thirdly, and most importantly, Raspian has no officially way of updating version short of changing the sources.list and hoping for the best.

More Support

Level 2 Support
Staff member
OK then if its recommended. I should point out we haven't actually run airtime ourselves as we have a built in "autodj" scheduler in our centova cast control panels. Airtime looks like it should do what you want though. I would agree that if they recommend Ubuntu go with that. The raspberry Pi stuff we have played around with has been mostly stuff involving using the GPIO pins to drive lcd displays etc... so Raspbian was best for that.

Good luck!