internet Radio equipment, software and license

Rody Larose

Hello I am looking to start a internet radio, I wanted to know where can I found the best equipment
We are looking to have live show and planning on taking live call too. I know most people use SAM Broadcaster, but I had questions that wasn't answer from them regarding the license.

I contacted SOCAN ( for Canada) told me they are the one responsible for the license and SAM broadcaster told me a different story, they don't cover blanket license fee, I need to pay royalties fess if anyone from Canada can provide some answers

THanks

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Yes that would be correct, the developers of radio streaming software (such as SAM Broadcaster) are not responsible for your own broadcasting licence fee's. You would be responsible yourself for paying these to your local licensing authority such as SOCAN for Canada. http://www.socan.ca/tariff/Infocard_22C_EN.pdf

Waffling Wilson

I actually use Myriad and then Butt Encoder to connect to the streaming host. I have a Behringer mixer and a condenser microphone.

For the live calls I currently use Skype connected up to my mixer via the headphone jack - I'm not rich enough to have a dedicated number for the station. We mainly use social media platforms for communication.

I have a PPL and PRS license for broadcasting within the UK

If you have any questions then let me know - no expert though.

WW