Invalid source when using Mixxx to stream to icecast server

Steveisloud

I'm trying to put together an online music stream for a local DIY music venue. I've gotten an Icecast server set up on a VPS, and can stream to it using BUTT. BUTT doesn't quite meet the needs I have for software, so I am checking out Mixxx. Unfortunately, I cant seem to successfully stream from it.

I know that Mixxx has connected when I enable live broadcasting; from the server web status page it shows the correct information, even down to the metadata from the track played. However when I try to connect to the stream, it doesn't work. I am using an html5 audio player to embed the stream on a web page. Internet explorer tells me it is an invalid source, in any other browser the player is simply disabled. Attempting to open the stream in an external audio player (such as VLC) also doesn't work.

I can post any relevant information that may be needed to diagnose the issue. The only thing I can think of is that there is some encoding difference I am not aware of between BUTT and Mixxx, but I don't know enough about it to know where to look. A point in the right direction, or any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Steveisloud,

Even though this Support section is just meant for our own clients who host with us on our own servers, if you email us over a screenshot of your Mixxx settings and any other relevant information we shall take a quick look over it for you when we get a spare moment. http://www.internet-radio.com/contact/

There is no difference between BUTT and Mixxx for encoding, it's just the software's features that are different. We think this may possibly just be related to the Icecast servers mount point that you are streaming live on and the one which you actually tuning into. Also, it's worth us mentioning that HTML5 audio players generally do not work very well with Internet Explorer.