Metadata

Pauk Kenyon

Okay, first hi again since this is gonna be my first post on in this section. I quickly scanned the subjects and didn't see anything about metadata, so I thought I'd throw my nickel's worth in.
HELP!
I have a station and am using MIXXX as the DJ. I've read the manual, but someone needs to make it automatic (or semi would suffice) 'cause it's almost useless as far as many aspects of the program actually doing what is says it's SUPPOSED to do. I shoulda talked about playlists instead - next time.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to manipulating metadata, but if I see the title and artist along with the length and all the other unneeded attributes of a song, shouldn't at least the title and artist display when it's playing? Oh, my host for the show is http://caster.fm. Perhaps there's a program available that you all like that will strip clean the info I have on mp3s and put in fresh info? I also have MediaMonkey and it too, according to everything I've read and experienced, has problems setting the metadata as well.

Thanks in advance for anything you could suggest in my direction! Now I'm going to bed for a few hours.

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Paul,

One thing to beware of is DJ software very often has its own separate database (in which such items as the BPM, song length, bitrate etc are stored - it may or may not be smart enough to work out the title from the source filename). This function is handy if you are using WAV files which are better quality but cannot store as much metadata but doesn't necessarily mean this data will automatically find its way into your MP3 tags!

Sometimes the developers of this software provide standalone utilities to do this; as Mixxx is open source the database format may also be open. be aware though that they are not 100% reliable and cannot correct flawed data if it was wrong to start with. Therefore you may still find it easier to do this manually...

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Furthermore to what General Lighting said above, have you tried right clicking on the files in your library within Mixxx and then going into "properties" to make sure the meta-data is all correct? You could also try updating the track information in there.

mixxx_meta_data-png.856

Attachments

• mixxx_meta_data.png
    mixxx_meta_data.png
    78 KB · Views: 1,322