Mixer to laptop

Daz

How do I get my radio software i.e Playoutone from my laptop to my mixer so I can fade the music up and down , also is it just a case of plugging my mic into the mixer for it to get on air Thanks

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a start it is worth posting more info about the type of laptop and mixer you are using - is it a traditional analogue mixer, one of those new (and expensive) ones that is also a MIDI controller or "something in between" such as Behringers that contain their own USB soundcard?

These last types can often be used to feed a streaming encoder; though it is often better practice to run this on a different computer
than the laptop you are DJ'ing with (doesn'#t need to be state of the art, one from 10 years ago running Windows XP will still do the job, however it is best if it is dedicated to this purpose and has very good security software)

Also the sound output of laptops is often rough and noisy due to various types of electric interference that get into the audio from the circuits of the computer - it is often better to use an external USB soundcard for the playout system.

With all analogue mixers and multiple audio sources you need to pay good attention to earthing to avoid noise getting in to your audio system but once you have done this (it is not that difficult, and extras such as audio transformers need not be wildly expensive) they can sound very good indeed (often better than having everything "playing from the same box")