Pop-Up Radio Player & App.

Hello,

I am looking for the above.

I have tried embedded radio players, but not appropriate for our station.

Ideally, I would like something along the lines of Radio Player, both in terms of size, shape, and reliability, but have found nothing and don't have over £1,000 G.B.P. to spend on Radio Player.

Muses flat out refuses to work, and I have tried the Shoutcheap version at xxxxx.com (*no links please to other host providers, thank you - Support)

***UPDATE*** This is a bit strange, but I have now tried the Shoutcheap Pop-Up Player using the Icecast stream, and this has no problem, either using the Pop-Up Button or link, SHOUTcast still conks out about five seconds into the intro file - any ideas why this would be?***

Anyone know of an alternative?

Finally, we are looking for an app. for Android, Widnose, and iPhone, and have been quoted so far between £1,000-£7,500 G.B.P. Any better and more cost-efficient ideas?

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
How come the Muses player does not work for you? We just generated the code for both of your streams with Muses and they are both working for us.

Shoutcast Stream:
<!-- BEGINS: AUTO-GENERATED MUSES RADIO PLAYER CODE -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://hosted.muses.org/mrp.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
MRP.insert({
'url':'http://uk2.internet-radio.com:8046/;',
'codec':'mp3',
'volume':65,
'autoplay':true,
'buffering':5,
'title':'Strange Fruit Radio',
'welcome':'WELCOME TO...',
'bgcolor':'#FFFFFF',
'skin':'mcclean',
'width':180,
'height':60
});
</script>
<!-- ENDS: AUTO-GENERATED MUSES RADIO PLAYER CODE -->

Icecast Stream:
<!-- BEGINS: AUTO-GENERATED MUSES RADIO PLAYER CODE -->
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://hosted.muses.org/mrp.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript">
MRP.insert({
'url':'http://uk2.internet-radio.com:8001/listen',
'codec':'mp3',
'volume':65,
'autoplay':true,
'buffering':5,
'title':'Strange Fruit Radio',
'welcome':'WELCOME TO...',
'bgcolor':'#FFFFFF',
'skin':'mcclean',
'width':180,
'height':60
});
</script>
<!-- ENDS: AUTO-GENERATED MUSES RADIO PLAYER CODE -->

In regards to an app, its just a case of shopping about really. If you want a decent app then you really need to be prepared to pay the money for one.

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally, we are looking for an app. for Android, Widnose, and iPhone, and have been quoted so far between £1,000-£7,500 G.B.P. Any better and more cost-efficient ideas?

one simple alternative is to publish the stream URL and suggest freeware or low cost players that work with each device (if the built in players won't play the stream directly). For instance on Win phones BRadio works well and even picks up the Internet Radio directory as well as the Icecast ones.

Not every listener is going to own a phone costing a few hundred quid/euros/$$$ that has the memory to store an app for every different station they would listen to. There are security/privacy concerns with apps especially those funded by ads; even after the radio station has paid for them to be developed they may be flawed. As an example there is an international station I listen to which broadcasts in a variety of languages; I listen to their Dutch service to improve my Dutch. They publish a free app which to be fair works and doesn't have any dodgy/creepy ads; but it tries to be smart; detects my device is set to English and is in the UK and then sets the stream to their American broadcasts; nothing I can do seems to make it stay on the Dutch stream. So I just listen to this station using their stream URL.

Hello there, and thanks for your replies.

With regards to Muses Player, and why it doesn't work, I have no idea!

The graphic appears on the page, but when I click on play no audio is heard. I'm glad Support were able to hear it though.

Even on the pop-up player, as I previously mentioned, the SHOUTcast stream gives up half way through the introduction.

With regards to the app., interesting thoughts, General Lighting. I have since come across the xxxxx.com (*no links please to other host providers, thank you - Support) offer, which seems to be an almost 'Pay As You Go' idea, which I shall investigate further, but in the meantime have signed up for SHOUTcheap's free mobile player.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
With regards to Muses Player, and why it doesn't work, I have no idea!

It just sounds like you had entered the stream url's incorrectly. You may not have added the mountpoint for the Icecast stream and Shoutcast servers require ";" on the end of the URL as per the example. Just copy and paste the code that we generated for you above. They have been tested and work fine. :)

It just sounds like you had entered the stream url's incorrectly. You may not have added the mountpoint for the Icecast stream and Shoutcast servers require ";" on the end of the URL as per the example. Just copy and paste the code that we generated for you above. They have been tested and work fine. :)

Actually, they don't and won't!

I have tried to do something a little more simple than the Muses player, as it is embedded and use a very basic Pop-Up Player (apologies for giving the other provider the plug previously :eek:) but I am getting very bizarre results, and believe I am getting the U.R.L. correct for both SHOUT and Icecast servers.

The results are that with Icecast the player displays "transferring data from (I.P.) 1.2.3.4" and does nothing else - nothing is heard.

Even more bizarrely, with SHOUTcast, contact is made, BUT it cuts out half-way through the intro file. The only important difference is that the intro file .mp3 is stored directly on the server, the playout system stored on another, but obviously routed through the same router.

Here is the code for the Pop-Up Player:

<!-- Player Code Begin -->
<OBJECT ID="MediaPlayer" WIDTH="240" HEIGHT="80" CLASSID="CLSID:22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95"
STANDBY="Loading Windows Media Player components..." TYPE="application/x-oleobject">
<PARAM NAME="FileName" VALUE="http://1.2.3.4:8002/;">
<PARAM name="autostart" VALUE="true">
<PARAM name="ShowControls" VALUE="true">
<param name="ShowStatusBar" value="false">
<PARAM name="ShowDisplay" VALUE="false">
<EMBED TYPE="application/x-mplayer2" SRC="http://1.2.3.4:8002/;" NAME="MediaPlayer"
WIDTH="240" HEIGHT="80" ShowControls="1" ShowStatusBar="0" ShowDisplay="0" autostart="1"> </EMBED>
</OBJECT>
<!-- Player Code Ends -->
</div>

I have tried all sorts of variations for both servers, including :8000/listen mountpoint for Icecast, but nothing changes.

I'm stumped, any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Actually, they don't and won't!

We did get the Muses player working fine before with both of your streams urls from your servers with us. As we said, just take our code from above and embed this into your website and see for yourself.

Or you can test this at https://www.muses.org/setup using the stream url's below. We used the Muses player on our website for many years and can assure you we know how to get this to work with both types of servers. ;)

Shoutcast stream: http://uk2.internet-radio.com:8046/;
Icecast stream: http://uk2.internet-radio.com:8001/listen

However, we have noticed that currently even though your relays with us appear to be working and the tracks are changing in the control panels recent tracks, there is actually no audio at all? We tested this on your own servers that act as the source for both of the relays and its the same issue with them as well? We can only hear the intro file on your Shoutcast stream and then nothing else after that, the Icecast stream is completely dead-air? So that is why you are probably having issues getting that other player code to work. You need to take a look at your own servers config and get the streams working properly again first.

We did get the Muses player working fine before with both of your streams urls from your servers with us. As we said, just take our code from above and embed this into your website and see for yourself.

Or you can test this at https://www.muses.org/setup using the stream url's below. We used the Muses player on our website for many years and can assure you we know how to get this to work with both types of servers. ;)

Shoutcast stream: http://uk2.internet-radio.com:8046/;
Icecast stream: http://uk2.internet-radio.com:8001/listen

However, we have noticed that currently even though your relays with us appear to be working and the tracks are changing in the control panels recent tracks, there is actually no audio at all? We tested this on your own servers that act as the source for both of the relays and its the same issue with them as well? We can only hear the intro file on your Shoutcast stream and then nothing else after that, the Icecast stream is completely dead-air? So that is why you are probably having issues getting that other player code to work. You need to take a look at your own servers config and get the streams working properly again first.

Thanks very much indeed Support, for taking such a keen interest in this matter.

Indeed you were quite correct! I ran a quick internal test when I received the results I did as reported in my previous post to discover that with the exception of the intro. file on the SHOUTcast server there was no audible output at all.

During last week there was a five minute dropout of our Internet connection, and on checking the playout server, discovered that Altacast had effectively crashed - both meter displays were jammed on the maximum, so I switched audio sources, and she seems to be working again fine now, though I hope this isn't going to be a repetition of an issue I had a year or so ago, when Edcast kept crashing every three to four days. :(

I'm pleased to be able to report that the Pop-Up Player does indeed work, BUT ONLY on the Icecast side!!!

On the SHOUTcast side, I get about a quarter way through the intro file again, then it cuts out and nothing...

Any ideas? Thanks for your help so far.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Thanks very much indeed Support, for taking such a keen interest in this matter.

Indeed you were quite correct! I ran a quick internal test when I received the results I did as reported in my previous post to discover that with the exception of the intro. file on the SHOUTcast server there was no audible output at all.

During last week there was a five minute dropout of our Internet connection, and on checking the playout server, discovered that Altacast had effectively crashed - both meter displays were jammed on the maximum, so I switched audio sources, and she seems to be working again fine now, though I hope this isn't going to be a repetition of an issue I had a year or so ago, when Edcast kept crashing every three to four days. :(

I'm pleased to be able to report that the Pop-Up Player does indeed work, BUT ONLY on the Icecast side!!!

On the SHOUTcast side, I get about a quarter way through the intro file again, then it cuts out and nothing...

Any ideas? Thanks for your help so far.

No problem. Glad this is back up and working for you again.

Have you tried removing the intro file at all?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
This works great: Flash and HTML5 player for Shoutcast and Icecast..

Hope this will help you. http://shoutcastwidgets.com/flash_player_generator.php

They are just using the same players that we use here. HTML5 with Flash fallback (jplayer) and Flash (Muses).

Nathan, the code widgets for both of these can always be found in your servers control panel all ready to go by the way. I actually forgot to mention this earlier in the thread (force of habit) that you do not need to even set this up on the Muses website anymore as the latest Centova updates now include the player code widgets. ;) :rolleyes:

If you are using the latest Centova build (v3.2.0 onwards) on your own servers then you will also have the player codes for your source streams under 'Widgets'.

Thank you jorgear and Support, for your continued support.

In answer to your question jorgear, no I haven't tried removing the intro file for the simple reason that If I listen to the station directly via the SHOUTcast stream, the intro file is heard in full, and cuts back to the output of the station as it should. This suggests is is some sort of bizarre coding problem that doesn't affect Icecast? Perhaps I should put ".pls" after the port number? Also, thanks for the recommendation of the app. builders, I will look into this.

Finally, Support, thanks for your suggestions regarding the Widgets. I have to be honest though, after playing with both them and the Pop-Up Player, I don't really see the advantage over the Pop-Up Player? If I'm right it means you can't surf away from the page it is embedded on within that page of the Website, unless the user opens another browser window? Also, they seem much more difficult to setup, at least, that's the experience I've had! But I'll keep an open mind...honest! ;)

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
In answer to your question jorgear, no I haven't tried removing the intro file for the simple reason that If I listen to the station directly via the SHOUTcast stream, the intro file is heard in full, and cuts back to the output of the station as it should. This suggests is is some sort of bizarre coding problem that doesn't affect Icecast? Perhaps I should put ".pls" after the port number?

That was us not jorgear. ;) Is the intro file encoded to be exactly the same as your stream, i.e in terms of the same bitrate / samplerate / number of channels? Any inconsistency's there could cause playback issues with the change overs. This was a common problem with flash based players in the past. Its worth giving it a go just for testing purposes. You can always easily add it back again afterwards.

Finally, Support, thanks for your suggestions regarding the Widgets. I have to be honest though, after playing with both them and the Pop-Up Player, I don't really see the advantage over the Pop-Up Player? If I'm right it means you can't surf away from the page it is embedded on within that page of the Website, unless the user opens another browser window? Also, they seem much more difficult to setup, at least, that's the experience I've had! But I'll keep an open mind...honest!
clear.png

Fair enough, we understand.