SOLVED - how do I get a "track playing" window on a second screen?

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK many youngsters will think "what harebrained idea is Uncle Alex up to now?" (but some of us older lot may remember having to feed a LP VHS videocassette recorder with station output and time reference to keep the baldy men at the Communications Ministry happy - 3 months worth of tapes...)

this may seem a harebrained thing to do in the 21st century but I had the modulator hanging around anyway and the VHS deck still worked; one PC I've got still outputs composite video on its second display and I've got plans to use it to unearth any odd things like silences/stream failures at random hours.

at least its a better idea than I would have had in my youth; which would probably have involved a NTL street box cracked open and at least my part of the estate being treated to techno + psychedelic videos; provided anyone can remember how to tune in a analogue telly :D

I'm 80% there but what I've not managed to do is get a near real time constantly updating browser window of the track playing. (The widgets on here sometimes auto update but don't always seem to do so; and I lack the coding skills at present to get the data from icecast (where it surely must be available).

This is however probably really just a simple bit of HTML; any pointers to how to achieve it much appreciated..

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
OK I managed it although not via coding unfortunately (it is possible but I need to learn more python) - I cheated a bit using Foobar2000 (which is already on this PC)
the main screen of this PC is normally a jingle player- so first I set the Foobar audio output to NULL (otherwise that audio would play each time the fader was up)
The actual audio being sent to the TV modulator comes from a separate monitoring stream on the transcoder server anyway (there are reasons for this - it saves bandwidth for "real" listeners and doesn't skew the statistics even more than the transcoder itself..

I just installed a Foobar 2000 plugin for OSD (on screen display) and tweaked it a bit

and I can even leave the lot running (with the TV screen switched off) and later go through the VHS tape like in the old days. Why on earth would I want to do that? well sometimes I get these warnings from my server hosts about glitches with the servers which are at really random hours; when I would not be usually listening. Now I can play back the recording around this time and check if its affecting the stream audio :D