Sound levels

Waffling Wilson

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions how to ensure that the sound level for my radio station is kept constant.

Currently i am using a Behringer Mixer and Butt Encoder but some of the mp3 tracks are of a much lower volume than others and there appears to be a difference between when the autoDJ is playing and when I start to broadcast live - with me, the latter, being quieter.

Any help or support would be great

Thanks

WW

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Ian,

For live purposes we would recommend perhaps looking at adding a hardware limiter & compressor between the output of your mixer and the input of your PC running the Butt Encoder. That would generally balance the levels for your live source. Or alternatively maybe look at using another encoder instead which offers built in digital sound processing.

In regards to balancing this against the AutoDJ's output volume. We can only really recommend testing this out yourself to find the best level match and then making a note of this or adding a sticker/marker on your Behringer mixers master / individual channels outputs so you know never to go above this level in order to keep this fairly consistent.

Another alternative would be to just not use the AutoDJ feature at all and look at some software such as 'Sam Broadcaster' which you can use for the digital sound processing, settings up automated playlists and will also let you use live inputs. You would have better control over the whole audio level for your station that way.

Hope that's helpful? :)

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can build the soundprocessing using an old XP PC and two USB soundcards (its cheaper than the standalone kit). I wrote a post about how it is done by Dutch pirate stations a couple of years ago (due to some changes at partyvibe an embedded picture in the first bit of the post is missing, which showed the Agentschap Telecom hauling away a transmitter; illustrating why the Dutch pirates don't want to risk more costly/hard to obtain kit for this purpose).

Of course with a legal online station you won't have that issue; but as there are loads of XP PCs still about and once you've set it up you don't need to have the PC online at all (thus removing security risks) its a cheap and effective way of doing it..

https://www.partyvibe.com/forums/ra...processor-22-a.html?highlight=soundprocessing

Is any issue to kept constant volume on Winamp,sometimes songs got different levels of playback...

Last edited:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Is any issue to kept constant volume on Winamp,sometimes songs got different levels of playback...

Winamp does have an option to normalise the output volume level. This can be found under the following settings: Options > Preferences > Playback > Replay Gain (tab) > Use Replay Gain

That will help to balance the levels between your tracks.

Finsbury

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions how to ensure that the sound level for my radio station is kept constant.

Currently i am using a Behringer Mixer and Butt Encoder but some of the mp3 tracks are of a much lower volume than others and there appears to be a difference between when the autoDJ is playing and when I start to broadcast live - with me, the latter, being quieter.

Any help or support would be great

Thanks

WW

Not sure if you resolved your audio problem but there is software available called Stereo Tool that works well, there is a free and paid for version.