Still streaming 24x7 with other DJ's

i99Radio.com

Hello,
Soon we are about to add DJ's to our radio station. We are commercial free, and stream 24x7 from our laptop, with occasionally either me or a local buddy of mine jumping on the radio taking in between songs (no more than 5 mins of talk within an hour) The software we currently use is Winamp.

I was wondering if we added DJ's, and gave them the info to stream ect; would it pickup right away once the other DJ disconnects? Or does someone have to be there to start it up again? Right now we're growing faster than I ever imagined (for only starting in May) and can't afford any dead air.

Any advice on this? Right now I do have it set to auto reconnect (incase if there is a burp in internet connection or something) which has saved us a few times after power outages due to storms recently.

Thanks again reading, and thanks for any help that you could give! I would like to participate here more, as lately I've only been a lurker.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi i99Radio.com,

Welcome to the forums. :)

You guys would need to disconnect your stream source (Winamp) in order for one of the DJ's to connect their end to the server. As long as you both get your timing right through some form of communication, then the change overs should be pretty minimal in terms of gaps. And vice versa for when you wish to connect your source again.

You will however want to disable the auto-reconnect as this may cause issues for the other DJ trying to connect. Both sources are going to be trying to connect at the same time or you will be re-connected again and they would not be able to kick your source. You can always re-enable the auto-reconnect during your own streams to prevent any such outages. Just make sure its turnt off before another DJ's attempts to connect.

i99Radio.com

That was a disappointing answer. I was really hoping there was a way from someone having to disconnect. We have DJ's that want times while either I'm at work, or late AM hours (3/4/5 am) and there will be no way for me do get to it sometimes.

I'll keep researching to find something. I really thought this would be possible.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
You did not actually mention what server type you use? We presumed its Shoutcast judging by your initial post.

We recommend looking into Icecast Servers which use multiple stream mounpoints. However, depending on how you have this set up, you are still going to need to disconnect your own source before another DJ can connect to the server. That is unless you had both streams running at the same time on different mountpoints but listeners may not realise and you may loose some of them.

You could look into an AutoDJ feature on your server as well. With this you can upload your own files and schedule playlists and your DJ would either be able with a Shoutcast server to switch this off in the control panel themselves before connecting their live stream. Or with an Icecast server, your DJ could simply just override the AutoDJ stream with a live stream using the Icecast stream mountpoints.

We hope this helps some more. :)

i99Radio.com

Yeah I'm using shoutcast 2.0 (I think) with ServerRoom (I've been using them for various different projects for almost 8 years with out a problem)

It's a bummer though. I will keep researching and do everything I can to try to make this happen, or maybe even try to code up my own program because I'm dead set on making this happen one way or another, haha.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Its still the same process Kevin. A DJ would need to disconnect their live stream source before another DJ can connect theirs and go live.