Broadcasting a "teleconference"?

adamsargant

Hi... this may be a simple issue and have been solved before, so I'm hoping to draw on the combined experience of the forum here :)

I have a client who wishes to run a regular radio broadcast with myself as MC managing two or more Speakers... putting emailed questions to them, that sort of thing.

I'm more than happy with Icecast as I've installed it as a proof of principle on one of my servers in the past and broadcast live from Winamp with Oddcast (as was then)... though from a return on investment point of view it would make much more sense for my client to pay for your service than for me to reinstall, and I'm impressed by the stats and other services you seem to provide...

SO... my main question is this. My two main speakers are going to be located in different places AND are both likely to be none too technically minded... so I need a simple solution to enable me to speak to them and to broadcast all three of us live. Is it possible to stream to the Icecast server from three different Winamp settings simultaneously so I would simply hear them over the web or is there another solution? Has anyone managed to feed a Skype teleconference to an Icecast broadcast (though the client does have issues with potential sound quality problems with Skype)? Or has anyone a better solution??

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Adam, Welcome to the forum.

You are certainly right that Skype would be your best option. All your clients (speakers) would need to do is to be able to install and run Skype and you would host the encoder that would broadcast the radio stream. According to our of our users broadcasting through SAM broadcaster is possible. See here :

http://forum.internet-radio.org.uk/support/267-how-use-skype-sam-broadcaster.html

Let us know if you have any further question.

adamsargant

Hi Support... thanks

It appears I can also accept SkypeIn to my conference calls (one of my speakers is apparently THAT technophobic) so I will certainly go down that route.

next question then... my preferred system is Linux (Ubuntu). Does anyone have any experience of streaming to Icecast from Skype using DarkIce (DarkSnow GUI) or any other linux compatible software? Or will I have to heat up the coals in my old Windows box? :D

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Its great to hear from a fellow Linux enthusiast. :) Unfortunately the easiest way will be the windows way. Encoders for Linux are a bit of a pain to setup and we have no experience doing this with Skype in the sort of setup you wish.