can you charge someone

Stevy6

Some stations will charge you to use their bandwidth on their station, basically to pay for server costs.
So yes they can, but most don't, if you volunteer you won't get paid, but on our station we don't expect you to pay.

The commitment you make by turning up for you time slot, and giving up your own free time to contribute to the station is all we ask.

Last edited:

iconicextra

so how do you servive paying station servers hosting domain licencing ( if you are ) and a short code text number like we have each month without donations or subs as its not free to me .and like any hobby you have to donate or pay something like tennis swimming fishing golf etc . how do you do it without charging

SDR Talent Scout

Way to revive dead thread iconic. but we provide top content, both music and website, visitors and ads on site cover most of our costs, the shortfall is met by our owner! listeners can contribute if they want by clicking the ads or buying us a coffee!

we also now offer sponsor packages for individual shows too. so all kinds of ways not to charge your presenters.

Last edited:

iconicextra

Way to revive dead thread iconic. but we provide top content, both music and website, visitors and ads on site cover most of our costs, the shortfall is met by our owner! listeners can contribute if they want by clicking the ads or buying us a coffee!

we also now offer sponsor packages for individual shows too. so all kinds of ways not to charge your presenters.
Thanks for you input mate and some good suggestions thanks matey all the best pal

AndyC

If I asked to present a show but I didn't get payed but he asked me to give him £20 for me to join is this aloud
A station can ask you to pay for your air time, but no decent staion ever would and here's why...

The truth of the situation is there are two types of station that make money. Firstly there is the traditional radio station, which raises funds from ad revenue or from sponsorship (uaually again from advertisers). Some stations don't make enough money to survive this way (usually community stations) so they do other things to raise revenue, such as holding frundraiser events or applying for grants. These are all what I would term as 'real' stations. The other type of station generally relies on it's presenters to 'pay to play'. This type of station normally lets you play whatever you like on air and possibly doesn't carry any ads or sponsorship. They don't really care much about gaining a listener base because they are making money from the would-be DJs who are handing over cash each week to do a show.

I would say stay away from 'pay-to play' stations. The overall output of these stations is variable at best because the people who appear on them tend to be those who can't secure a slot on a more traditional station. Often the reason they can't get a slot elsewhere is because their on-air skill is somewhat lacking. This means the station never gets decent listener numbers, but the owners probably don't care, because they are raking in cash by exploiting the presenters.

There is of course a difference between presenters offering to support their station with a donation and being told they have to pay to get their show to air.

I've no doubt offended some people by explaining the above, but that's the honest truth of how it works.

iconicextra

A station can ask you to pay for your air time, but no decent staion ever would and here's why...

The truth of the situation is there are two types of station that make money. Firstly there is the traditional radio station, which raises funds from ad revenue or from sponsorship (uaually again from advertisers). Some stations don't make enough money to survive this way (usually community stations) so they do other things to raise revenue, such as holding frundraiser events or applying for grants. These are all what I would term as 'real' stations. The other type of station generally relies on it's presenters to 'pay to play'. This type of station normally lets you play whatever you like on air and possibly doesn't carry any ads or sponsorship. They don't really care much about gaining a listener base because they are making money from the would-be DJs who are handing over cash each week to do a show.

I would say stay away from 'pay-to play' stations. The overall output of these stations is variable at best because the people who appear on them tend to be those who can't secure a slot on a more traditional station. Often the reason they can't get a slot elsewhere is because their on-air skill is somewhat lacking. This means the station never gets decent listener numbers, but the owners probably don't care, because they are raking in cash by exploiting the presenters.

There is of course a difference between presenters offering to support their station with a donation and being told they have to pay to get their show to air.

I've no doubt offended some people by explaining the above, but that's the honest truth of how it works.
appreciate your response buddy and we now don't charge our DJs anything what so ever . we was i admit finding it hard to pay for all the perks and quirks of the station but we now looking to do fundraisers and advertising and if not hey for the fun of being the owner and the love of music i see no reason that i cant myself actually pay for it lol . i agree fully though that some do take it to far and the Djs don't actually gain out of the payment and that gives it a bad stigma instantly there is no need to pay any station but if your a DJ on it and feel you love the station and wanna donate to the cost as you rightly said then why not as every little helps and if taken correctly it can go to further bits for the station that some may not have like for example mobile apps or short code text numbers or even competitions but i do agree after wrongly doing so that NO ONE should be told to pay which is why we no longer do so