computer , mic setup priblem

moky107

hi
Am new here. was wandering if anybody can help me. i have just started an internet radio. the problem is i have being trying for over a month now trying to set up my studio. ie connect the mic to the mixer so that i can talk over the music. the problem is how to get the music from the winamp through the mixer back to the encoders to be stream and also talk over the music. i have followed all the tutorials from utube but still stuck. when i switch the input to soundcard . my station go blank. sometimes you hear only my talking after some fiddling . let me say am not tech savy. this is a new area for me. any help will be appreciated.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi moky107,

This is where you are selecting your soundcard as the input in Shoutcast DSP's "input" settings. So it will only playback whats coming from your mixer as you have this connected to your sound cards inputs. When "Winamp" is selected instead as the input device, it will only broadcast what is playing through Winamp itself.

What mixer and soundcard are you using? Is it essential that you use a mixer for your microphone? You could just use the mic directly into one of your soundcards inputs instead? The Shoutcast DSP input settings have a mixer control.

moky107

Am using Behringer 1202FX Xenyx and u-control external soundcard which output goes to the mixer input and the mixer output goes to the second pc light green line-in input . this is what i was told.. yes. i have connected the mic to the mixer . let me know if there are any other things i have to get.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Ok thanks.

So to clarify as you mentioned that the "mixer output goes to the second pc light green line-in input". Do you mean that you have 2 PC's in your set up?

So am I right in thinking that you have one PC using the external soundcard which is playing the music, which then goes into your mixing desks inputs along with your mic. Then the output of the Behringer mixer is then going into the line-in on a 2nd PC's soundcard ("second pc light green line-in input") and this PC is running the Shoutcast DSP plugin and you have this configured for the "input" settings (rather than Winamp) to then broadcast this audio to the server. If so, then that should work fine?

But, if you actually meant that you are using 2 soundcards on the same PC at the same time (so your u-control external soundcard and also your PC's own onboard soundcard for the input) then that will cause issues / conflicts. If you are using an external dedicated soundcard, then you should disable your PC's own built in soundcard.

Ideally you should just go for a set up as mentioned above.

moky107

a few questions. what will be the playback device on the encoder pc and what will be the recording device? is the external u-control or the mic. also i do not have line-in (legacy mode) coming up when i want to choose the input source for streaming only sound card and winamp shows up. is it also ok for me to use laptop as the encoder machine since the laptop shows the line-in option . in that case where will i input the mixer output rca

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi moky107,

Sorry for the delay in our reply. This thread had been pushed down the page by newer threads and we had missed your last reply.

Did you manage to make any progress with this?

On the encoder PC, the playback device should be the main soundcard that you are using on that machine. So even if it's either the external u-control soundcard or just the on board soundcard instead, then this should be enabled (and any others in the list disabled) with a green tick next to it. Same for the recording device, this should be the "line in" of the same soundcard (and any others in the list disabled).

Yes you can use a laptop as the encoder machine and select its soundcard as the line-in with Shoutcast DSP. So in that case the mixers output will need to go into its line inputs. You will want to swap your RCA (phono) cable for another twin phono to mini stereo jack (3.5mm) lead for this if you are just using the laptops on board soundcard.