Disconnect source when no listeners are connected

AHRadio

Hi.
We're a hospital radio station who have just started broadcasting on the internet. Looking at our bandwith statisics for the past few weeks for our broadband connection at the studio our usage as you would expect has shot up quite significantly but as we have only just started web streaming and the world wide web arn't our primary audience, there are large parts of the day when no one is connected to the stream, but we are obviously still using bandwidth to send audio from the source to the server.

I was wondering if there is a way to disconnect the source when no one is connected to the server, then re establish the connection when a listener connects. It seems a shame to use all of that bandwidth when no one is listening and our ISP might start to get a little annoyed with us, although we do have "unlimited" usage.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Simon.
AHR Station Manager

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi AHR, Thanks for your question.

I am not aware of any way this can be done. Internet Radio doesn't have this sort of functionality through any of the server types (icecast or shoutcast). If you are worried about your bandwidth usage you could lower the bitrate you stream at.

rollinradio

Disconnect source

Im sure i saw somewhere in the settings you can tell the source to disconnect listerner's after a set time !

I will look into it.

retrofm dj rio

re disconnect

ive seen that aswell rolling if you go into overveiw its the last tab at the end ive not messed with it myself n not sure what the heck it does hence i havent messed with it but its there :mmm:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
The setting you refer to disconnects listeners when there is no source but what i think AHR is getting at is that they want the source to disconnect when there are no listeners (other way round). :)

rollinradio

Source

After thinking for a few day's !

Why not set up an auto dj for when you are not using the stream ? this allows you to upload your mp3's via ftp (only done once or when you want a change of playlist) this would then stream on the web based station from the radio server saving yourselfs the bandwith uploading to the server constantly.

When you decide to go live simply de-activate the auto source - can be done remotly with some php script and switched on remotly when the live shows are finished !

Only a suggestion but the easiest one i can think off at the mo !

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Good idea rollinradio :) Although i think AHR runs a hospital FM/AM station ? which they are broadcasting onto the net so it would be different radio content.