DJ's Applying

Discussion in 'Volunteering' started by `Pk, Apr 21, 2017.

1. `Pk

`Pk Member

Do other station owners here get dj's applying and you basically set them up then never hear from them again?
    So many have come to me asking for help to set them up and have no music list or software.
    Granted I love to help people get a start in radio but enough is enough.
    We have some top professional stations here on this forum please don't waste our time.
    If you applied to a number of stations and got a position please have the courtesy to let all applied to know...
    Its just plain respect..

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    WhoseLineFan and Demo like this.
  2. Stevy6

Stevy6 Active Member

Had a few respond but either dont turn up for sound check, or get as far as fixing a show time going on the schedule Then do 1 show and leave...????

3. JimJim

JimJim New Member

I often wonder how many on here play radio station owners.I see the same people looking for presenters all the time.The stations look for skype names..so they can interview the presenters..If they send a demo,,they can either do the job..or they cant!!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. Stevy6

Stevy6 Active Member

Im a presenter on hive365.co.uk and currently on air.( 9-11pm Sundays ) but I recruit for our owners.
    Our owner also posts on here too.

5. Stevy6

Stevy6 Active Member

???? SE ????

6. JimJim

JimJim New Member

Sorry posting on phone..But I still think a lot of the stations looking for presenters get carried away with interviews on skype,etc...Just ask for a demo,and if they like,use the presenter

7. Stevy6

Stevy6 Active Member

We do a test stream for 15 mins or so.. most pass with flying colours. Just ones with crappy mics tend to fail
    But the ones who do the test and pass , some of them don't ever turn up again? Makes no sense.

WhoseLineFan and JimJim like this.
  8. Andy Moore

Andy Moore New Member

Just look at the churn of jocks on efem and dab, most start up stations have at least one jock quit, one pushed and new voices come in, as for established ones, when the listening figures come in there's often changes to the schedule so if traditional models of radio have issues then it's simply a part of life for virtual stations to suffer from similar problems, finding and securing good on air players who last the distance.

Transient is a good word to describe employment in radio, she's a fickle mistress for sure.

A station posted here for a drive jock, management loved my demo, we got on well via Skype then the manager left the station and even tho the new manager has my demo, I've heard nothing back. Communication is key, especially in the communicative realm of radio. I'm mailing them next to say "Oi!" ;)

Been on both sides of the coin, hunting for work, the recipient of demo tapes and as an employer recruiting software developers.

Ya know what the big issue really is, why people do one, never to return yeah? The V word. That's what you get with volunteers.... Look at media.info and see how certain roles come up time and time again, same here it seems.

I know a dab station where some of the jocks (mainly volunteers) are utter flakes, on air and off yet filling the schedule with reliable talent is a challenge so they kinda have to put up with it.

It becomes harder still with licensing compliance and volunteers, the "I'm not getting paid so don't really give a ####" attitude sucks and can cause investigations from the powers that be.

Bricks n mortar stations who pay salaries often enough have staffing problems, community stations really struggle unless they're lucky so finding talent you can rely on when you've squat for budget is a big ask, that's why I've decided my virtual station is presenter free. Saves so much BS.

Already I've had presenters spam me, add me to mailing lists and despite my policy of replying to all applicants one mailed me multiple times, basically telling me he isn't bright enough to employ anyway!

It's all egos and vanity, remember it takes a certain kind of personality disorder to be a presenter so expect to be dealing with psychopaths, sociopaths, egomaniacs and all out nutters who you can't really rely on and they're the good ones! ;)

I'd say the solution is money and a proper contract or failing that some advanced dynamic voice tracking where you get each presenter to record a truck load of links, adding to them often, then having software schedule them for playout: that way you've always got presenters who'll never let you down, fix competitions, insult listeners on your chat box or sleep with your underage audience members.....

But the OP is right, it's respect: it doesn't take much to say "I can't do my show tonight" or "thanks for your demo but we're looking for a slightly different style"

As a Pink Floyd tracks said "good manners don't cost nuffin do they?"

WhoseLineFan and `Pk like this.
  9. srdrockradioshow

srdrockradioshow New Member

I think a lot of 'volunteers' don't understand the level of commitment and reliability needed to structure a schedule or how important it is when retaining audience. A lot of people like the idea of 'doing radio' but don't realise the level of work that goes into being more than mediocre.
    I have been both volunteer and management.
    Another challenge is dealing with management who are unable to organise the proverbial in a brewery, and favourite 'presenters' who lack competence but retain positions through toadying. You then get the egos and (dare I say it) the covered up abuse!
    Community Radio is interesting because in many ways it is promoted as being altruistic - do not be fooled by that, there may be exceptions but a lot of it comes back to being all about the money. The attitudes of small businesses apply.
    My point is that a lot of talented people who may have enjoyed the joys of being involved with media as students or even RSL broadcasts find that real life gets in the way and different outlets get the reward of that talent base.
    I would volunteer again at a point that I can give full commitment despite having been badly let down (more than once) because I have always enjoyed the variety of what radio can bring to me, and I was always able to provide a format that was not trying to be too clever - the music came first..... And I could manage people again to create a regular pool of talent to ensure a robust schedule.
    What I can't do is overcome the cliques or favoured hierarchies. I had a bad experience where some presenters were paid and volunteers were treated as second class even though contributions (and arguably talent) were greater.
    This is not intended to be a rant or a suggestion that I am great and everyone else is rubbish. It is an expression that 'radio' is like any business and has the same challenges as the rest of society some good some bad.
    Radio does retain a level of mystique and magic however which is why people are attracted to it, whether to be successful or to pursue a hobby...
    Fall out follows because success (or the appreciation the ego is looking for) doesn't follow dished up on a plate!

Feel free to disagree with me - the debate is enlightening.

WhoseLineFan, Andy Moore and Stevy6 like this.
  10. Andy Moore

Andy Moore New Member

I pretty much agree with every word there, volunteers don't understand the commitment, their once every three week show is fun to them, an outlet asides from the every day but when something either more fun or important pops up they're unable to do their shows. Then what does the station do?

Also, there's the stations who fill their schedule with something as far removed from regular programming as possible by having shows every third Sunday (when the moon is full) or having one guy on breakfast half the week then switching him around with the drive guy the rest of the time.

Consistency is core. Mrs Miggins from the pie shop and her missing cat show every second Tuesday just ain't consistent, plus all those missing cats probably went into her pies...

I've never done an RSL or any hospital radio but I've stacks of respect for the training that HR gives: it's a bit like "those folks in ward three expect your show each week, build a personal rapport with them and don't let them down" there's less room for egoism. It's a good training ground as in "tea boy" or girl. Humble foundations are more secure.

Tell me about crap jocks who stay the distance because their nose is tickling the sphincter of their PD / MD... Known a few over the years and wondered how they got and stayed on air.

Saying that, people probably wondered how the hell I ended up bagging a drive show lol

I think if someone is looking for a long term career IN radio, more than ON the radio then they need a skill better than presenting alone, producers often change with a station sound, presenters certainly do, the jobs with the slowest churn I've seen are things like scheduling the ads, doing invoice runs and accountancy, dull and lacking the creative mystique but more likely to survive station sound changes, RAJAR results and management changes.

Traffic Management in that sense is quite secure as a role: it's working with sales, programming, production, presenters and senior management to process the airtime orders, get the right ad heard by the right ears at the right time and get the invoice out so the station can be paid.

Yes, debate is enlightening and I'm really pleased to have found this place: media.info discussion boards are virtually dead since James went 'proper names only' then moved to Australia, Digital Spy is full of bitter cretins so you can't have a sensible dialogue there. I tried, I gave up, I'm allergic to dealing with an abundance of stupid.

It seems you can talk tech, programming, production and strategy here which can only ever be a good thing for stations and listeners alike!

:)

WhoseLineFan and Stevy6 like this.
  11. srdrockradioshow

srdrockradioshow New Member

let's not be down on volunteers, good ones are worth their weight in gold.
    One of the challenges for Radio is actually understanding what it needs to provide for those people who are likely to stay involved longer term as unpaid - but that is not unique to Radio alone.
    Consistency is a good example, sometimes it might only be one 2 hour slot every 3 weeks. It may take longer but the relationship between presenter and audience can still develop in a way that is better than 6 weeks of 'Joe' and then no more 'Joe' ever!
    One of my most enjoyable experiences was my involvement with US Part 15 broadcasts. There were if you like 'unlicensed' restricted power stations which used to syndicate programming which was a good gig :)
    In the UK there is a lot of paranoia about Ofcom and the licence granted - my experience is that Ofcom are very helpful but you have to work WITH them, my bad experiences with 'management' were that the management were not very bright(!) and dictated everything as being a consequence of Ofcom restrictions. It is interesting what you can learn when you don't just accept what somebody else tells you.....
    I also used to run a training course 'an introduction to broadcasting' where I got a very good insight into the type of people who are interested in how radio works. Many of whom would be fantastic because of their broader life experiences but will never get the chance because they are not part of the 'club'.
    Yes the humble beginnings of Hospital Radio will always have it's place but in the current digital 'have it all now' society it is not what the wannabees want to hear/see.
    My template for building successful radio would be around having the structure and backroom staff as the employees and the presenting as volunteers (which may include some staff) - in other words the presenters are not allowed egos.
    I am not sure that I would get much favour from that although I know it works in a student radio environment.

And then it comes back to the money..... the biggest challenge is ensuring the funding remains. It is not good when the 'Station manager' is the main provider.... but that is another story.....

WhoseLineFan, Andy Moore and Stevy6 like this.
  12. SlamminTunes

SlamminTunes Member

I tend to find that around 25% of those that apply actually make it to their first show and then tend to stick around a very long time. Most of the DJs on my current schedule have 12+ months and some have been there 3+ years now. Good luck with your search and hopefully you find the DJs that you need.

WhoseLineFan likes this.