ideas for new radio station website

djultra

hi there me and some mates run a station called hyper-radio
and were looking for ideas as to what else we could put on our site?
because people have been saying it's not up to scratch. please help

link below

Hyper-Radio

lockylive

Well at the risk of sounding like a grumpy fart I'm just gonna call it how I see it. Please do not take any offence.

The background is the single most annoying part of the website. Massive distraction.
The menu across the top I almost missed entirely. It's schedule not schedual.
The images used as text headers across the site are pretty awful.
The DJ pages don't tell us much about the DJ's other than they are DJ's
The Schedule either is broken or is not displaying properly in my browser (chrome).
Each page seems to have different style/layout. The menu links from the Now Playing page do not work.

So if I can be of any real help, answer these questions.

1. Who is your target audience?
2. Are you marketing the station, if so where?
3. What is the station about? There does not seem to be any generic info about this.

The people who have said it's not up to scratch - they are not really helping if that's all they can say.
Hopefully this can help you.

dafyddgriffith

hi there me and some mates run a station called hyper-radio
and were looking for ideas as to what else we could put on our site?
because people have been saying it's not up to scratch. please help

link below

Hyper-Radio

To be honest, The site looks awful! Seriously, It's difficult to navigate, untidy, and just utterly horrible. Sorry to put it like this, but it's the truth! I know of some stations with little staff and a very well designed website! I recommend that you either get a web designer or play around with the design a lot!

Won't go on, as the other comment sums up what I think!

Sorry to be harsh, but seriously... It's bad :(

Female81

The first thing I notice: That background on the 'home' page. Risky. Something like this could be nice if a) seamless (no tiling) and b) with a solid and light colored middle section. The home page already lacks that.

Some other things I notice:
-Almost every page is designed in another way. The schedual page is even looking completely grey, like it's 1996 again (when half of the internet looked grey).
-The bar on top sometimes disappears.
-The logo/header and the 'listen' button aren't looking that slick. :(
-That 'request' page? WTF???

Anyway: the same things Lockylive already noticed.

In general, the site looks like something from 1996-2003. Sometimes tending to one side, sometimes to the other, but always outdated. Possibly fun in a retro way, but not useful to promote your station in 2013. :)

Last edited:

djultra

ok so the site don't look as great at the moment, but i'm using
software called WebPlus X4 if that helps any. and i have now removed the solid background
and have done some tidying up on the site :nod: but um yes you're all rite in what you're saying,

i don't take affence at all. so do you guys n girls have any ideas for the site at all?

and were trying to reach an audiance of about 10000 to be honest around the world.

yes i'm sorting out the now playing page

Female81

It's even become worse with that new background.

I've photoshopped a screenshot of your site a little bit, to give a suggestion to make it a líttle bit better (the middle part is the 'solid background' I suggested before): http://i.imgur.com/bbhUaPr.png

Harty

Wordpress

Hi. Do yourself a huge favor and replace what you have with a Wordpress.org site. The basic theme that comes with the installation will be just fine.
ps, this is how you spell schedule.
keep your site simple, uncluttered and just have it do it's job.

Last edited:

Waffling Wilson

Hi there,

I can not view the website but I thought that I would provide you with some general feedback about sites etc which I hope would be helpful.

1) Using something like Wordpress is definitely the way forward - choose a simple design and keep it clean and fresh - don't over complicate things.
2) Use a theme which is responsive so that you know the theme will do the work for people on mobile devices.
3) Start off with just one page - put the important information on there for your audience and then develop slowly.
4) Remember accessibility - using establish colour schemes within your theme will be helpful with this.
5) Have a look at other station's websites and take what you like from them and leave what you don't. My site is far from perfect and I'm sure people will have loads of comments about how to improve it (www.wilsonwafflingradio.co.uk) but it is a start.
6) KEEP IT SIMPLE - I can't stress this enough - do you actually need a site or will a Facebook page work just as well - I always think I am a presenter not a web designer so if I can find something to do the majority of the work for me then I'm there!

Hope these are helpful

WW