ISP Bandwidth

Apolloradiouk

Hi there

I was wondering if someone can tell me roughly how much bandwith a constant 24hour stream of music would use.

I dont mean the bandwidth that I purchase from Internet Radio for listeners.
I mean the bandwidth that I use via my ISP to broadcast my stream.

I'm just curious, as at the moment, I have unllimited downloads from my ISP but times are changing and most ISPs are puting fair usage policies in place now, I'm wondering if this will have an effect on internet radio streams.

I look forward to your response

Cheers
Rab

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Good question Rab.

Lets take a 128 kbps stream as an example using the bandwidth calculator here : Internet Radio Bandwidth Calculator

128 kbps with 1 listeners (same as streaming to server) for 1 Hour (3600 seconds) = 0.05 GB = 56.25 MB

So 24 (hours) x 56.25 MB = 1350 MB or 1.32 GB.

So a month could be using around 40 GB or bandwidth if you were streaming 24/7.

We use Virgin Media as an ISP and their traffic management info is here : Our traffic management policy

Every service level apart from the lowest could stream at 128 kbps all day and not hit their caps. Even the lowest service level probably wouldn't be affected as the caps only lower the speed not restrict access.

Apolloradiouk

Excellent info, thanks

As you say, that's well within limits of even the lowest usage.
I use O2, mainly because I work for them and I get it at a very low cost.
My package is truely unlimited, but theyre trying to migrate all customers to the new packages which all have fair usage policies, and are traffic managed, but even the lowest package is 40GB, the new equivalent to my current package would be limited to 250gb, which is plenty.
So at least I know that if I'm forced on to a new package, there's absolutely nothing to worry about

Mind now at rest.

Thanks