Need Icecast help

Rickenbacker

I'm an Icecast noob looking to start my own radio station, but have come to a wall in terms of installation/finishing. I've gotten as far as where you can see that administrator screen with the "Global Server Stats".
What next? I'm totally confused on how Winamp is connected to it.
Need someone to walk me through it like I'm trying to land a plane since the directions on the icecast site are Greek to me.
Thanks for Any help!

Attachments

• screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 819
Last edited:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Unfortunately at the moment we just do not have the time to walk you through setting up your own personal Icecast server we are afraid. Also for your information Winamp (and its Shoutcast DSP plugin) won't work with Icecast.

LG73

I'm an Icecast noob looking to start my own radio station, but have come to a wall in terms of installation/finishing. I've gotten as far as where you can see that administrator screen with the "Global Server Stats".
What next? I'm totally confused on how Winamp is connected to it.
Need someone to walk me through it like I'm trying to land a plane since the directions on the icecast site are Greek to me.
Thanks for Any help!

Hi Rickenbacker,

There is documentation on-line at http://www.icecast.org/docs/icecast-2.4.1/config-file.html that has the info. you need to do this. For Shoutcast you need to add lines to the icecast.xml configuration file that looks like this:

<listen-socket>
<port>8000</port>
<shoutcast-mount>/live.mp3</shoutcast-mount>
</listen-socket>

If you have more than one Shoutcast source you want to use with Icecast you will need to add a unique shoutcast-mount for each source and have dedicated ports for each one. Shoutcast requires 2 ports per source. In the above example, port 8000 and 8001 will automatically be dedicated to the defined Shoutcast source. If the Shoutcast stream is in HE-AAC then the mount would be named something like /live.aac instead of /live.mp3 as in the above example.

It's more complicated than a regular Icecast setup but once it's done it works great. Icecast is also smart enough to automatically convert the ID tags from the Shoutcast source to Icecast format. Note that listening to the stream will be done on the Icecast port, not the Shoutcast source port which needs to be different. For the above example, if the Icecast port is port 80 and the IP number is 127.0.0.1 then the above stream would be reached at http://127.0.0.1/live.mp3.

I use an Icecast server setup for remote live shows which are all sent in Shoutcast v1 format and it works great. I tried for a while using Shoutcast v2 with Shoutcast v1 mounts but found it was unstable and unreliable. Icecast offers better Shoutcast v1 compatibility than Shoutcast v2!

Not to take away from the response Support offered here but WinAmp and the Shoutcast DSP plug-in work very nicely with Icecast providing Icecast is setup as described with a shoutcast-mount for the WinAmp/Shoutcast DSP stream source.

Cheers,
Philip