Popping/Cracks

Barone

I used to use SAM Broadcaster. The Firebird database is a dog, so I switched to RadioDJ w/HeidiSQL. Love the program; however, I'm running into occasional 'popping' and 'crackling'. I use the Altacast encoder and run at 128 kbps. The 'popping' is infrequent, but annoying nonetheless. I've also adjusted buffer settings. The issue persists. Any experience with this type of issue?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We are afraid that we have no experience with 'RadioDJ w/HeidiSQL' whatsoever.

But usually popping and crackling indicates that the buffer size of your sound card needs adjusting with audio programs. But it can also be related to various other issues with your soundcards drivers / hardware and even other CPU hungry programs running in the background.

David Barone

We are afraid that we have no experience with 'RadioDJ w/HeidiSQL' whatsoever.

But usually popping and crackling indicates that the buffer size of your sound card needs adjusting with audio programs. But it can also be related to various other issues with your soundcards drivers / hardware and even other CPU hungry programs running in the background.
Well, I flipped back over to SAM BC and the popping returned, so I can safely say that it isn't my automation (RadioDJ nor SAM). I have nothing running in the background that would eat up bandwidth or create high CPU load. This is the second machine, by the way, that experienced this issue (different OS on both). So, perhaps this is related to my modem/router. Have a tech coming over to inspect and replace, if needed.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Right ok. So are you only actually hearing this when tuned into the stream itself, but you are not hearing it when monitoring the automation software?

Are you using a dedicated external soundcard or your PC's on board?

David Barone

Right ok. So are you only actually hearing this when tuned into the stream itself, but you are not hearing it when monitoring the automation software?

Are you using a dedicated external soundcard or your PC's on board?
Not exactly. I monitor my stream through iTunes (which is piped to my receiver); however, I haven't listened to the raw audio. Also, I use the PC's onboard soundcard. Thing is, the issue was replicated despite the fact that I tested using two different computers/operating systems.

It's very odd.

Back story: My fiance would log on to her systems each morning which, apparently, devoured our bandwidth (we have 30 down and 5 up which, to me, should be sufficient). My encoder would drop out each time. At the time, I was using a single band modem/router. Even so, I never experienced the popping/crackling I've described. Our provider sent a tech out who ended up replacing the single band with a dual band unit. Solved the problem of the daily dropout, though about a couple of months later, I began dealing with the popping noise I've described. I've performed all types of troubleshooting. Nothing's worked. I hope to have this resolved when the tech arrives to diagnose. If you guys have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Ok we see, perhaps then it is possibly network related if this is replicated on two different machines / os. Usually though any network problems would just cause the stream to buffer / skip or just fully drop out rather than cause any popping and crackling.

We would highly recommend monitoring the audio directly from your PC / software to check it's not happening there before it is even being broadcasted to the server. That's the first thing we would have checked.

We hope that you manage to resolve the issue anyway. Please keep us updated on what you find.

David Barone

Ok we see, perhaps then it is possibly network related if this is replicated on two different machines / os. Usually though any network problems would just cause the stream to buffer / skip or just fully drop out rather than cause any popping and crackling.

We would highly recommend monitoring the audio directly from your PC / software to check it's not happening there before it is even being broadcasted to the server. That's the first thing we would have checked.

We hope that you manage to resolve the issue anyway. Please keep us updated on what you find.

Audio from PC fine. Considering the fact that we've also experienced buffering when listening to the stream on our end, we determined that the issue likely originates from the modem/router. Pulled a report. Found myriad T3 and T4 errors. Having tech replace the unit, coax, and check internal and external connections. Should resolve the problem. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again for your input!

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Yes hopefully so and please do let us know how you get on.

No problem at all, happy to have been of some assistance.

David Barone

Yes hopefully so and please do let us know how you get on.

No problem at all, happy to have been of some assistance.
Sadly, after having my modem/router switched out, the issue persists. Did a ton of troubleshooting - anything and everything you can imagine - with the exception of switching servers with my stream host. May go that route unless you guys have other thoughts on this.

Thanks.

David Barone

Update: This seemingly unsolvable problem, I believe, has been solved. I took two additional measures; I used MP3val to correct errors in my audio and I used a killer utility call Driver Booster 3 to update my drivers (even though the machine is brand new). Since taking these steps, I haven't heard a single pop. Early yet, I suppose, but I'm pleased with the results. Thanks to all of you for weighing in. Much appreciated. Hopefully, my experience - and the apparent solution I found - will help others who might be dealing with the same thing.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Great, we are pleased that you got there in the end. It's pretty obvious really, but suggesting actually checking your audio files themselves for errors completely slipped our mind. Doh!

Fingers crossed for you that's the end of the issue anyway. :)

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Well if a shop bought PC has been sat in a box for 6 months or so, then the chances are that some of the drivers would be slightly outdated by the time you get it home and set it up. It's always good practise to update all the drivers when you are setting up a new PC for the first time.