Questions About Auto DJ

energy80s

Hi there, as a new member around here I am interested in running a stream using the Auto DJ service. However, I would like to know a bit more about it before I start ripping/encoding/uploading audio.

Looking at the info on this site, it appears that Auto DJ can only stream MP3's at 64kbps or 128kbps. Is it limited to just these two bitrates or can I use any bitrate (say 56k or 96k) as long as all the MP3's are encoded at that given bitrate?

Also is there any crossfading available between each MP3 song or do they just play sequencially one after another?

Also, is there any audio processing available on the output of Auto DJ, or is it just "what is uploaded goes out on air"?

Finally, do the MP3's need to be 44.1kHz or would 32kHz sampled files play out OK?

I look forward to your replies.

retrofm dj rio

Auto dj

As a member I use the auto dj myself I run my stream at 56kps so I normally encode my music to mp3 format and re encode files 128 there isn't actually a crossfade but songs do loop Continous with minimal interuption it's also usefull for scheduled playlist say for daily weekly basis and has shuffle features included also support will provide more info but there are a few usefull posts in the forums

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi there, as a new member around here I am interested in running a stream using the Auto DJ service. However, I would like to know a bit more about it before I start ripping/encoding/uploading audio.

Looking at the info on this site, it appears that Auto DJ can only stream MP3's at 64kbps or 128kbps. Is it limited to just these two bitrates or can I use any bitrate (say 56k or 96k) as long as all the MP3's are encoded at that given bitrate?

The Auto DJ can stream at any bitrate as long as teh mp3's are encoded at that same bitrate. We dont do any pre-processing so they should all be uploaded with the same settings.

Also is there any crossfading available between each MP3 song or do they just play sequencially one after another?

We dont do cross fading as this requires a lot of CPU as the MP3's need to be re-encoded on the fly.

Also, is there any audio processing available on the output of Auto DJ, or is it just "what is uploaded goes out on air"?

Just whats u[uploaded gets aired. You can of course configure playlists and schedule them from within the control panel.

Finally, do the MP3's need to be 44.1kHz or would 32kHz sampled files play out OK?

I look forward to your replies.

44.1kHz is more standard and normal for people to use but 32kHz would work also.

Hope this helps 8) Thanks to Retro FM for your assistance in answering :)

energy80s

Thanks for that. I'll maybe sign-up for a month's tests and see what sort of quality can be achieved with lower bitrate MP3's sampled at 32kHz (that will give about 15kHz of audio - the same as FM radio - but better compression ratios than 44.1 files will give).

Also might try some pre-mixed segments to see if they playout better than just seperate song/jingle combinations. To do this fulltime would require a license at around £300 a year, so I won't be rushing into things. But certainly worth a tryout.