Roberts 83i and Frontier Silicon

ACL

I've noted that stations on my radio do not match up with my portal. For example my portal doesn't have Radio Havana but my radio does and the portal lists 3 stations for the Faroe Islands whereas my radio has 4. Does anybody know how this works as I thought the radio was meant to sync purely with the portal. Does this mean some internet radios come with URLs preprogramed independent of the portal, in which case it could pose a problem when the URL changes?

Ulyssees

'The penny has just dropped'.

The number of stations a wifi radio can receive is down to the Portal. I reckon Receiva offers the greatest choice of stations, but Roberts radios use the Frontier Silicon Portal and Pure radios The Pure Lounge Portal.

I think my Ministry of Sound radio was 'ahead of its time'. I'd like to buy a wifi radio almost as good as Pure and Roberts models which connects to the Reciva Portal. But I'm sure I would be happy with the choice of stations offered by the other Portals.

But then again I've just read that (today) the Frontier Silicon portal offers:

21313 Radio stations
9375 Podcasts
...and more are added daily

So I think I'm worrying about nothing!

Last edited:

ACL

'The penny has just dropped'.

The number of stations a wifi radio can receive is down to the Portal. I reckon Receiva offers the greatest choice of stations, but Roberts radios use the Frontier Silicon Portal and Pure radios The Pure Lounge Portal.

I think my Ministry of Sound radio was 'ahead of its time'. I'd like to buy a wifi radio almost as good as Pure and Roberts models which connects to the Reciva Portal. But I'm sure I would be happy with the choice of stations offered by the other Portals.

But then again I've just read that (today) the Frontier Silicon portal offers:

21313 Radio stations
9375 Podcasts
...and more are added daily

So I think I'm worrying about nothing!

Exactly, the radio is only as good as its portal in terms of quantity of stations. However you can always add streams by copying and pasting URLs you find to your host portal. They then sync instantly to your radio. I really would go for the Roberts 83i if I was you.

brucegriffin

Hi ACL:
I'm a newbie here, so please be gentle. You wrote:"Exactly, the radio is only as good as its portal in terms of quantity of stations. However you can always add streams by copying and pasting URLs you find to your host portal". My portal is Frontier Silicon, and my Internet radio is by Kitsound. Sometimes I find a station I like on my computer but when I try to tune it in on the radio I get a "Network Error" message. Are you saying there is a way to paste the URL somewhere on the RF website that will allow me to eventually listen to the station on my radio?

Thanx/ Bruce in Dorset, UK

ACL

Hi. If there is a station I want to add I visit the stations website and click into the stream. I then press copy on the link and paste it into "add stations" on Frontier Silicon and add station name and format which in my experience is usually MP3. I then open it [play it] on my computer via Frontier Silicon and it will hopefully open and play, if this is successful I know it has correctly added to my 83i. The problem is and I'm sure somebody else here can explain as I'm not sure is that the link doesn't always open and can come up with network error or just won't play. If this happens I usually persevere and find other links online from the same station and eventually one works. As I'm sure you know anything added successfully to your portal automatically syncs to your radio. I hope this helps.

Ulyssees

Hi ACL, I posted this under the old thread about wifi radios, but think you (and Lockylive) may have missed it:

Lockylive, this may be of interest to you in getting your station added to
p
ortals: www.sharp-stream.com/wp-content/.../09/Useful-links-for-stations.pdf

ACL, I did buy a Roberts 83i - BUT as a Christmas present for a friend. He found it a breeze to set up and is delighted with the sound quality and its capabilities.

I have discovered only today that the more expensive Roberts WM201 uses the Receiva portal, so maybe over time I'll buy an 83i and then a 201 when my MOS is 'on its last legs'!

ACL

Hi, yes the 83i is relatively easy to set up. I've taken the whip aerial off and connected an F type connector and coax for external aerial DAB/+ reception. I've never come across the WM201, I will goggle it for the specs. There are so many good radios about its tempting to keep buying.

Ulyssees

Roberts WM201 - Reciva portal and 83i/93i

Glad I held off buying a Roberts 83i because Last FM withdrew its subscription-based radio streaming on 28 April. I guess this is why Roberts brought out the 93i - but I've just purchased a new (but long obselete) WM201 with Roberts 1 year warranty for £100 - bargain.

A friend told me about 2 stations he could get on the 83i I bought him, which uses the Frontier Silicon portal, but they weren't listed on the 201. After sending e-mail forms to Receiva, 24 hours later the stations were available on my 201. Excellent service!

It is unbelievable that an online trader is asking £171 for the obselete 83i when the RRP of the 93i is £150 - and it comes with a free 2 year warranty when purchased from a very well regarded UK department store!