A bit of guidance

burglar

Hi Folks,

I'm after a bit of guidance here. Before I get started I'll list my signal path:

x2 Rode NT1000 - Soundcraft EPM6 - stereo out of mixer into PC soundcard

I have bought my server with citrus3 and now I just need a decent software that can take my stereo vocal sum, play music with it and log onto my server to broadcast. It is essential that this software has the ability to do sidechain ducking. I want the music to respond dynamically to the vocals and drop in volume when the presenters speak. I have tried "radioBOSS" which I think is an awesome app apart from it has a silly "mic" on/off button to drop the music volume.

Can anyone suggest a really good program that can fulfill my needs?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We are not actually sure that there is anything out there "broadcast software" wise that offers such sidechain compression.

Some hardware mixers have this feature built in though, so you may want to take a look into that as an option.

burglar

We are not actually sure that there is anything out there "broadcast software" wise that offers such sidechain compression.

Some hardware mixers have this feature built in though, so you may want to take a look into that as an option.

wow! I find that truly astonishing! It's so easy to do in any audio workstation and it would be such a useful feature, I can't believe it hasn't been implemented in these softwares as standard.

I don't want to go down the road of outboard compression / music, just the ability to bring the vocals up/down on my mixer & send them into my soundcard to an application that allows me to dynamically duck the music against the vocals and connect to my server to broadcast.

Somebody make this happen!

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Well, there may well be? But we are not aware ourselves of any such broadcast software. Maybe some others on here are aware of some and can help?

But yes we totally agree, it is so easy to do in DAW's such as Cubase etc. It does seem it could be a very handy feature for a lot of people.