Can our station be located and played on an Internet DAB radio?

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
assuming this device does genuinely play back Internet streams and not just DAB / Band II like others it could be possible but depends on the devices firmware.

I have been looking for one of these radios myself but not found one I liked so far (I am fussy about audio quality and listen to dance music so don't want rubbish tinny speakers).

Hopefully a device like this should have its own "webpage" you can get at whilst its on the network, into which you would paste the stream URL (as if you were copying it into a media player URL entry box) and assign it to one of the "channel" buttons.

what is the model number of the radio?

assuming this device does genuinely play back Internet streams and not just DAB / Band II like others it could be possible but depends on the devices firmware.

I have been looking for one of these radios myself but not found one I liked so far (I am fussy about audio quality and listen to dance music so don't want rubbish tinny speakers).

Hopefully a device like this should have its own "webpage" you can get at whilst its on the network, into which you would paste the stream URL (as if you were copying it into a media player URL entry box) and assign it to one of the "channel" buttons.

what is the model number of the radio?

nothing specific yet mate, it was just a general enquiry.

I spoke to a guy at Maplin who says a definate "yes", a DAB internet radio will find AnfieldFM and play our stream.

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a look at the website and the Surfer K internet radio might well do this but personally I'd want to see this in action before I bought one.

there doesn't seem to be a great selection of these devices in the UK. Conrad in Germany has a few more (they do have an English site) but they take a bit longer to deliver than UK suppliers.

I had a look at the website and the Surfer K internet radio might well do this but personally I'd want to see this in action before I bought one.

there doesn't seem to be a great selection of these devices in the UK. Conrad in Germany has a few more (they do have an English site) but they take a bit longer to deliver than UK suppliers.

We have a contact in Shenzen, China who produces these units and IF they can find AnfieldFM, we may well get some branded units and flog them to our listeners at discounted prices - that's the plan anyway!

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Chinese engineers will need to point their search function in the firmware at a suitable API for Internet Radio.

If done properly this could be used to benefit everyone on here who is on the directory - they will however need to think carefully and plan ahead for any changes.

Luckily for you I think there are lots of Chinese with connections to Liverpool, many from Malaysia (I am of part Chinese ancestry myself and my parents are from Malaysia)

the Chinese engineers will need to point their search function in the firmware at a suitable API for Internet Radio.

If done properly this could be used to benefit everyone on here who is on the directory - they will however need to think carefully and plan ahead for any changes.

Luckily for you I think there are lots of Chinese with connections to Liverpool, many from Malaysia (I am of part Chinese ancestry myself and my parents are from Malaysia)

ah! an aristocrat!

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
there was a funny story in an in flight magazine about a young British Chinese lady from Liverpool whose mum travelled from Malaysia to Liverpool for the first time in the 1980s, - she didn't realise whole chickens are sold without feet in the UK food markets (in MY you get the entire bird just that its plucked, and the feet are used to make soup and other dishes)

The young lady had left her mum unattended, only to then notice she had disappeared and there was a great commotion in the market where she had tried to buy a chicken and ended up berating the local traders for "cheating her because she was a foreigner" - was only calmed by the arrival of the local "bizzies" who thankfully had been given the new "politically correct" training about how to explain things to people from different cultures :rofl:

Getting back to the topic though, South China and Malaysia's businesses often act as "interfaces" between East and West for the further development of these gadgets, getting past language/culture barriers. Unfortunately I don't speak Chinese as I was born in London in an English speaking household, and there are many folk who would find setting up an internet radio as complex as trying to decipher Chinese or a new language!.

I've mentioned the "device barrier" elsewhere on here and even as a techie it often stops me tuning in to online stations as much as I would like to. if we can work as groups of stations to get more radios which work almost "out of the box" (other than the router encryption codes) this would benefit all Internet-Radio broadcasters (and the Chinese who often expect comparatively large minimum order quantities).

there was a funny story in an in flight magazine about a young British Chinese lady from Liverpool whose mum travelled from Malaysia to Liverpool for the first time in the 1980s, - she didn't realise whole chickens are sold without feet in the UK food markets (in MY you get the entire bird just that its plucked, and the feet are used to make soup and other dishes)

The young lady had left her mum unattended, only to then notice she had disappeared and there was a great commotion in the market where she had tried to buy a chicken and ended up berating the local traders for "cheating her because she was a foreigner" - was only calmed by the arrival of the local "bizzies" who thankfully had been given the new "politically correct" training about how to explain things to people from different cultures :rofl:

Getting back to the topic though, South China and Malaysia's businesses often act as "interfaces" between East and West for the further development of these gadgets, getting past language/culture barriers. Unfortunately I don't speak Chinese as I was born in London in an English speaking household, and there are many folk who would find setting up an internet radio as complex as trying to decipher Chinese or a new language!.

I've mentioned the "device barrier" elsewhere on here and even as a techie it often stops me tuning in to online stations as much as I would like to. if we can work as groups of stations to get more radios which work almost "out of the box" (other than the router encryption codes) this would benefit all Internet-Radio broadcasters (and the Chinese who often expect comparatively large minimum order quantities).

so if we can source devices that actually do work, at the right price, we could have a large market to sell to?

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
so if we can source devices that actually do work, at the right price, we could have a large market to sell to?

coming from a more conventional radio background I would think so (comments from anyone else here would be valuable).

My situation might be a bit "extreme" as the same kit I use for monitoring is intended for other AV production, so as well as a computer I'd have about 5 devices to switch on - plus I do have a normal day job and need to concentrate on this so 100W of loud music doesn't always help :D

but I feel even those with standard PCs they get distracted or deterred by having to find the headphones, turn on the speakers, coax the media player into behaving nice with the stream or not to accidentally close a window containing a webplayer, then their mates put picture of funny cats and dogs on their facebook wall etc so there's animal noises over the station content..