Expressions of interest - North West Kent.

SammyJ

Hello,

I am not entirely sure if this is an appropiate place to post this message, but why not?!

I was part of a team of volunteers that helped with the launch of Miskin Radio, in Dartford.

The station, primarily broadcast Online only, but did an R.S.L. as part of its start-up for the Olympics in 2012 - the original objective of the station was to provide a Comunity Radio service for Dartford, Gravesend, Bexleyheath, and surrounding area, i.e. North West Kent, on either A.M./F.M./Digital.

Within a couple of years, the objectives of the station were in trouble, not helped by Ofcom advising Management that being based within the M25, we could only broadcast on A.M. The station was supported by North West Kent College, Digital Radio was then in its infancy, and the decision was taken to keep the station Online only, until funds were raised for an A.M. transmitter - this caused a general loss of interest.

Since this time, almost all of the volunteers, have left, the station is barely regarded as a Student Radio station, has had many changes of Managers, and have recently been advised in an E-Mail that, "the management of the college and radio project no longer believe that a community online project is viable, in terms of financial sustainability or audience reach, and any idea of becoming a Community Radio Station at any point in the future is no longer an option".

The reason for this post is that I am looking for former Members or anyone else with an interest in providing a community radio service for the area to get in touch.

If, as I suspect, they will close the project down shortly, will endeavour to rescue as much equipment from the studio as possible, thereby saving some money before we start!

A friend of mine runs an Online station already, though nothing to do with this project, and has permitted me to use their general E-Mail address, should you be interested: E-Mail: hello@strangefruit.uk

Look forward to hearing from you.

iconicextra

i own a internet station with hq in Rochester but we are internet only and world wide not just community based and been running for 6 years, so not wet behind the ears when it comes to internet radio. its something I had considered but all the DJs are spread out around the world for us . but if your interested in having a chat and putting heads together and doing something maybe not so much on the local only but can become more localised at specific times then hit us up @ contact@iconicextra.com and address it to gill or popster thats myself and joint owner and we will see what we can come up with together if you fancy it . regards paul aka popster www.iconicextra.com

Peter

Hello,

I am not entirely sure if this is an appropiate place to post this message, but why not?!

I was part of a team of volunteers that helped with the launch of Miskin Radio, in Dartford.

The station, primarily broadcast Online only, but did an R.S.L. as part of its start-up for the Olympics in 2012 - the original objective of the station was to provide a Comunity Radio service for Dartford, Gravesend, Bexleyheath, and surrounding area, i.e. North West Kent, on either A.M./F.M./Digital.

Within a couple of years, the objectives of the station were in trouble, not helped by Ofcom advising Management that being based within the M25, we could only broadcast on A.M. The station was supported by North West Kent College, Digital Radio was then in its infancy, and the decision was taken to keep the station Online only, until funds were raised for an A.M. transmitter - this caused a general loss of interest.

Since this time, almost all of the volunteers, have left, the station is barely regarded as a Student Radio station, has had many changes of Managers, and have recently been advised in an E-Mail that, "the management of the college and radio project no longer believe that a community online project is viable, in terms of financial sustainability or audience reach, and any idea of becoming a Community Radio Station at any point in the future is no longer an option".

The reason for this post is that I am looking for former Members or anyone else with an interest in providing a community radio service for the area to get in touch.

If, as I suspect, they will close the project down shortly, will endeavour to rescue as much equipment from the studio as possible, thereby saving some money before we start!

A friend of mine runs an Online station already, though nothing to do with this project, and has permitted me to use their general E-Mail address, should you be interested: E-Mail: hello@strangefruit.uk

Look forward to hearing from you.
I have a regular show - every two weeks - one hour of avant-garde British and European jazz. It goes out on other community stations and its your for free if you want it. Two weeks after broadcast (on Sundays) it goes up on www.mixcloud.com/ukjazz - have a listen:)