missing something

channelk

Greetings. I hope I am in the right spot and that this post is appropriate. If not, please redirect me.

Here's what I have:
SAM Broadcaster server on a Windows 7 platform in my studio
Website is Joomla.

I want to run my radio station from my website. The plan is to have a player built and installed into my main navigation bar. When a user hits the player, a new stream is created, and the html code from SAM is input into a pop up window with current song, links etc.

Why is a streaming server required? This is what I am trying to understand. Not just cost, but ease of use.

From my limited knowledge I understand that SAM can output multiple encoded formats including MP3. Why would it not be possible to program a player that accepts an MP3 stream, and creates a copy of itself each time a user hits the link.

I NEED my radio station to play from my web site - not from a list of 30,000 radio stations.

I am missing something here.

Any help most appreciated.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi there,

SAM Broadcaster does not have a built in server so a streaming server is required. :)

channelk

Making a Joomla Module for this

OK, I understand. SAM outputs a stream, for instance I am planning on using MP3, 128 KBS stereo. I send the stream to my web site. Now a custom Joomla module is built which does the following:
1. Creates a new thread each time the player is hit
2. tracks when the player is activated and how many times it is activated
3. Creates a pop up window to accept HTML from SAM
4. Whatever else I am missing.....

I have unlimited throughput on my hosting account, but know that if and when the radio station gets busy the hosting company will throttle me. I plan to move the website into the cloud. That will solve that problem.

Am I missing something here? As far as I can tell, building this module will allow anybody to bypass the streaming server part, saving money are making it way easier to run the radio station right from your web site.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
In your example Joomla is becoming the streaming server. This may well work but the outcome may be unreliable for your listeners. Having a proper streaming server is a more professional way to run a radio station.

Its also likely your hosting company has stipulated in its terms and conditions that you are not allowed to run a streaming service. Check this out or you may have your service terminated. Also be careful in your interpretation of 'unlimited' in the hosting world. Nothing is truly unlimited.

Its worth pointing out that running a radio station from your own website is totally possible via one of our streaming shoutcast/icecast servers. We provide code snippets to embed in your site along side instruction for adding a flash player etc... The listing in our directory is a good means to get extra listeners for your radio but it is by no means the only place your listeners can tune in from.

Good luck 8)

channelk

Awesome reply...thank you

All points taken. I would only get away with using my webhost as a streaming server for a very short period of time. I would then move to a cloud solution where streaming is acceptable.

Here are the issues I have with a Streaming Server service. This is how I was running for a period of time and gave up.
1. Creating and changing playlist was difficult and cumbersome. XML, HTML, no automated function.
2. No autoDJ.
3. Security of the Stream
4. Finding a player that works in Joomla that has good appearance and functionality.

Let me expand a bit. Flash is dying. HTML 5 is going to take over and I have yet to find a streaming service capable of streaming via HTML 5. Ease of use is critical as I am NOT a programmer. A streaming service does not help handle HTML sent from SAM Broadcaster for information on Current song, upcoming artists and specials, for instance. I have been unable to get help in these areas.

Your service is in the UK. I am in Canada. I have spend HOURS and HOURS searching up streaming services that are affordable and easy to use. In Canada, it is impossible. Our bandwidth costs are stupid. Much lower in the US. So I did set up with a streaming service in the US, but it became unmanageable due to the above reasons.

My biggest issue has to be that I have not found ONE service that could help support all my requirements. I would be willing to pay more for this kind of help and support. I would even stream with you. I know this is a tall order - but is the main reason I started going down the road of building a streaming module for Joomla. It would solve a lot of my problems, and also be resellable to other Joomla users.

But it is EXPENSIVE to get done.

Any input back would be most appreciated. If I may, I want to see if I have the flow proper here.....
SAM outputs to your Shoutcast server. I link my player to your server, thus you handle creating the threads, stats, and load balancing? Is this correct?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
All points taken. I would only get away with using my webhost as a streaming server for a very short period of time. I would then move to a cloud solution where streaming is acceptable.

Again be careful of your understanding of "cloud solution" in the context of running a radio station :

Cloud computing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are the issues I have with a Streaming Server service. This is how I was running for a period of time and gave up.
1. Creating and changing playlist was difficult and cumbersome. XML, HTML, no automated function.
2. No autoDJ.
3. Security of the Stream
4. Finding a player that works in Joomla that has good appearance and functionality.

You will need to expand on these points as I don't quite understand what your issues are. For example we run an Auto DJ service that allows you to create / change playlists. What aspect of security are you not happy with ?. At the moment flash is the best cross platform solution for a compatible radio player.

FFMp3 :: - The Flash MP3/OGG Live Stream Player! - haXed

^^ Is a really nice skinable flash player.

Let me expand a bit. Flash is dying. HTML 5 is going to take over and I have yet to find a streaming service capable of streaming via HTML 5. Ease of use is critical as I am NOT a programmer. A streaming service does not help handle HTML sent from SAM Broadcaster for information on Current song, upcoming artists and specials, for instance. I have been unable to get help in these areas.

Sure. We agree. Flash sucks. Unfortunately HTML 5 compatible browser adoption is still less than those with flash installed and until this statistic is reversed flash is the way to go. We have done some tests and a HTML5 radio player works in some of the browsers but not all. Getting the meta data displayed can be achieved in a few different ways depending on your preference. For example we have some javascript code snippets. You could also use php code to poll the server direct and display the info.

Your service is in the UK. I am in Canada. I have spend HOURS and HOURS searching up streaming services that are affordable and easy to use. In Canada, it is impossible. Our bandwidth costs are stupid. Much lower in the US. So I did set up with a streaming service in the US, but it became unmanageable due to the above reasons.

Sure. You are probably best hosting in the US.

My biggest issue has to be that I have not found ONE service that could help support all my requirements. I would be willing to pay more for this kind of help and support. I would even stream with you. I know this is a tall order - but is the main reason I started going down the road of building a streaming module for Joomla. It would solve a lot of my problems, and also be resellable to other Joomla users.

But it is EXPENSIVE to get done.

Any input back would be most appreciated. If I may, I want to see if I have the flow proper here.....
SAM outputs to your Shoutcast server. I link my player to your server, thus you handle creating the threads, stats, and load balancing? Is this correct?

Our service is probably not for you as your requirements seem very specific. Our advice would probably be to build your own solution with some kind of dedicated server. You say you are not a programmer but you understand enough to dip you toe and have a play. Your flow assumption is correct.

Best of luck! :nerd: