Stream appears to be broadcasting but no sound through media players.

crem brule

Hi

I used to regularly broadcast live DJ mixes from Traktor but have had a few months off due to work/family commitments. I decided to start up again and checked my server was still up and running which it appears to be. All my previous broadcast info was still in Traktor.

I managed to get Traktor connected to the stream as the source and everything appeared OK as tracks/playlist meta data was logging fine, however when I tried to connect a separate machine to the stream via a number of different media players (vlc, windows media player, itunes etc) to check the broadcast, I could not receive any sound even though the song info etc was showing.

I am unsure if I am being a bit dim due to having time off or if there is an issue with my setup. Furthermore when I broadcast previously my stream would show as live on the station page when following the Stream Start Page link from my servers control panel but this doesn't appear to happen anymore it states "Unavailable. station offline or denied" . I never had a hosted website previously for broadcasting mixes, is this something I need?

hope you can help

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Crem Brule,

Firstly welcome back! :)

As you are streaming in Traktor, this does not support streaming in Mp3. It only allows streaming in Ogg Vorbis. Some players (such as some flash players) will not work well with this format. However, VLC should be able to play this no problem which then makes us think its possible that you have some settings wrong somewhere or the issue is with the separate PC that you checked the stream on?

In regards to your startpage, which account are you referring to as you have a Shoutcast and also an Icecast account? With Icecast accounts the startpage URL will change when you are streaming on the "/live" mountpoint. So when you are live the startpage URL would be http://www.internet-radio.com/station/crembrule77live/

Also, its worth us mentioning that there is a small delay with the startpages showing up on the directory's after a server has been started.

We hope that this helps.

crem brule

Thanks for the reply I have now sorted my main issue ie broadcast but no audio. I had a feeling I was being a bit silly but I have now confirmed it. Recently purchased a new router and had not set up port forwarding:doh:

Sorry to have wasted your time:shake:

So now have audio from traktor and as you say my start point url is up!YAY \o/

You are correct that I have bandwidth on Shoutcast and Icecast. The shoutcast server was from when I used VDJ, having now switched to Traktor I did wonder if it was possible to consolidate the bandwidth from the Shoutcast server onto the Icecast one and shut it down?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
That's great. We are pleased that you managed to resolve the issue. You did not waste our time at all, we are more than happy to help. :)

Sure, no problem. We shall get the remaining bandwidth on your Shoutcast account transferred over to your Icecast account for you and then close the Shoutcast account.