Akp Radio Academy

Are you aged 13 - 18? Are you a budding radio presenter? Well join the AKP Radio Academy where you get the chance to learn tips on how the professionals do it. Whilst having fun. But what do I get out of it? I hear you say. Well other than the experience you also get the chance to be on this very radio station. If you think this is something for you then email harry@akpradio.org.uk we look forward to hearing from you soon also akp radios website is www.akpradio.org.uk and are t&c are we also check regularly if are staff are OK to work for akp we check this every month as akp does have young people aged between 13 to 18 working on the station so anyone 18+ we check every month to see if they are OK to continue working on akp so we are 100% safe with this so there is no need to worry about if your young people are safe as we are all 100% safe also many people who are 18+ one akp have children anyway so we are 100% safe also to see more of are T&Cs go to http://www.akpradio.org.uk/website-terms-of-use/ so if you would like to join akp academy and are aged 13 to 18 then please do email me at harry@akpradio.org.uk

Last edited:

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Harry -

This sounds like an excellent idea - much better than what me and my mates got up to at that age back in high school (31 years ago now!) with a home built Stentor FM TX; with which we accidentally cut across the VHF radios of all the local buses that were then still at the top end of Band II :eek: - this ended up with the engineers of the nearby BBC Receiving station (that was linked with the rest of BBC Monitoring and various other govt agencies) giving us a friendly warning to be more careful!

To be fair they didn't call DTI or cops on us and admired us for having the cojones to try such a stunt right in the middle of the Cold War and understood why we might be doing it and the same chaps lobbied for legal community radio in the UK which finally arrived in the 2000s.

Just a tip though, as you are UK based (and by necessity given the nature of this project) collecting personal info on young people, it might be worth putting a link your projects website and add the usual info about safeguarding etc so parents can also see it.

In most regions your local Council and/or other groups dealing with young people should be able to help you with this - might be worth contacting them anyway for advice as it could also provide you with contacts within schools/colleges who could also suggest interested young people. Quite a few schools and colleges have media production suites but not a wide audience for the content (other than the students themselves and their families) so a linkup could be mutually beneficial.

I'm not sure how safeguarding is done for young volunteers who are perhaps contributing online from a different region (compared to say a community radio station in the same area) so its worth also getting advice on this matter.

Hi Harry -

This sounds like an excellent idea - much better than what me and my mates got up to at that age back in high school (31 years ago now!) with a home built Stentor FM TX; with which we accidentally cut across the VHF radios of all the local buses that were then still at the top end of Band II :eek: - this ended up with the engineers of the nearby BBC Receiving station (that was linked with the rest of BBC Monitoring and various other govt agencies) giving us a friendly warning to be more careful!

To be fair they didn't call DTI or cops on us and admired us for having the cojones to try such a stunt right in the middle of the Cold War and understood why we might be doing it and the same chaps lobbied for legal community radio in the UK which finally arrived in the 2000s.

Just a tip though, as you are UK based (and by necessity given the nature of this project) collecting personal info on young people, it might be worth putting a link your projects website and add the usual info about safeguarding etc so parents can also see it.

In most regions your local Council and/or other groups dealing with young people should be able to help you with this - might be worth contacting them anyway for advice as it could also provide you with contacts within schools/colleges who could also suggest interested young people. Quite a few schools and colleges have media production suites but not a wide audience for the content (other than the students themselves and their families) so a linkup could be mutually beneficial.

I'm not sure how safeguarding is done for young volunteers who are perhaps contributing online from a different region (compared to say a community radio station in the same area) so its worth also getting advice on this matter.
There we go all updated