Need help choosing radio platform

xapax

Hi guys,

Im here to ask for some help. I plan to start an online radio but im struggling to find out which would be the best platform for what I want.
Maybe what I want already exists and some of you might know so please bear with me and read a little further.

I want an online radio station, hosting/bandwidth/operating system (windows/linux) is not a problem.
I guess the hard part is quite easy. Now for the "simple" things.

I would like a radio station that could be heard via webpage. Embedded player probably. I dont want listeners to choose tracks, or create their own playlists. I will choose what they hear, but the option to easily set weekly programming or quickly changing it would be awesome. I would LOVE the option for the listener to rate the song on the embedded player, or even to vote for the next song if possible.

Something simple for the player... album thumbnail, basic info (id3tag)...

I have been looking at shoutcast but im not sure if it will do what I want.

Oh i forgot to mention, getting it up and ready is not a problem either. Im working with a friend and whatever is required for this we will get it done (programming, purchasing) whatever really.

Thank you very much for your help guys.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi xapax,

Welcome to Internet Radio! :)

We can provide you with the server hosting and bandwidth. Some more information on this can be found here: Internet Radio Servers

All stations that host with us automatically get a free "startpage". Please see the following example of this Pigpen Radio. As you can see this comes with an embedded player as well as alternative media player tune in links and also a listener map.

Listeners would not be able to choose tracks / create any playlists. They will only be able to listen to what you are streaming yourself or your own playlists. Our "AutoDJ" feature allows you to easily set weekly programming and quickly change the scheduled playlists. Some more information on this can be found here: Auto DJ. Unfortunately though there is nothing in place (at present anyway) that allows users to rate songs etc.

To help you decide which server type is best suited for you, we recommend having a read through this following FAQ as to the main differences between Shoutcast and Icecast servers. http://forum.internet-radio.com/faq/179-shoutcast-icecast-server.html

There are alternative flash based players about that you can embed into your own website that allow you to display the artwork thumbnails and other info. Have a search back through the forums here and you will find some information on this.

We hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions or if there is anything more that we can assist you with at all, thanks. 8)

xapax

Hi xapax,

Welcome to Internet Radio! :)

We can provide you with the server hosting and bandwidth. Some more information on this can be found here: Internet Radio Servers

All stations that host with us automatically get a free "startpage". Please see the following example of this Pigpen Radio. As you can see this comes with an embedded player as well as alternative media player tune in links and also a listener map.

Listeners would not be able to choose tracks / create any playlists. They will only be able to listen to what you are streaming yourself or your own playlists. Our "AutoDJ" feature allows you to easily set weekly programming and quickly change the scheduled playlists. Some more information on this can be found here: Auto DJ. Unfortunately though there is nothing in place (at present anyway) that allows users to rate songs etc.

To help you decide which server type is best suited for you, we recommend having a read through this following FAQ as to the main differences between Shoutcast and Icecast servers. http://forum.internet-radio.com/faq/179-shoutcast-icecast-server.html

There are alternative flash based players about that you can embed into your own website that allow you to display the artwork thumbnails and other info. Have a search back through the forums here and you will find some information on this.

We hope this helps. Please feel free to let us know if you have any more questions or if there is anything more that we can assist you with at all, thanks. 8)

Thanks a lot for showing me some very good options. I will take a look at the links provided before making a final decision.

Again, thank you for everything.