Skins / Album Art for Media Players

ihatespinach

Does anyone know how to add a skin/ album art to my stream in Windows Media Player/ iTunes/ Flash Media Player ?

I found some code for Flash's JW Player here: JW Player: Download | LongTail Video | Home of the JW Player

I think the code enables you to add a custom JPG skin to your player/ video canvas so I'm gonna have a play and see if I can figure it out. I thought it might be easier with playlist files like ASX, PLS, M3U as these are coded in XML/ HTML. Does anyone know how to reference a JPG (or picture file) in a playlist file, so that when WMP loads the stream, you see a nice bit of branding instead of an empty video window? Hopefully this isn't the same as streaming video (like a still of a single frame or something?)

ihatespinach

Wait, seems I'm confused..! JW Player is just another player that happens to support Flash - it's not the same as Flash Media Player by Adobe - I don't think? I just want to offer Flash users an option to play my MP3 stream using an SWF file.

ihatespinach

Flash Player on Web Page Won't Play from Stream URL

Made some progress on this - managed to embed a Flash player with my own skin/ poster image BUT... When I point it to my stream URL or playlist file at IR.com I get the following error:

Task Que failed at step 5: Playlist could not be loaded due to cross domain policy restrictions

Does this mean a web page and Flash player located on my web server (UK2.net) can't talk to a stream/ playlist file on your server (IR.com) ? If so, why is this restriction in place and how could I get it removed?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
I'm sure we can point you in the right direction with this. Can you provide a link to the page on your site where you have this code embedded so we can take a look ? :nerd:

ihatespinach

I'm sure we can point you in the right direction with this. Can you provide a link to the page on your site where you have this code embedded so we can take a look ? :nerd:

www.ihatespinach.com/untitled.htm

Spoke to my web ISP. They say the port is blocked and they can't open it for me because they "keep ports blocked on shared servers for the protection of accounts on the server".

Any ideas on how I can use my external web page to stream via Flash, short of moving my website away from my current ISP to one who can offer this service? Know any ISPs who do offer this service?

Still haven't figured out how to get WMP to launch an image when loading my playlist file. Any ideas? I can submit an image to TuneIn when registering my station in their directory (image is displayed on mobile devices when listeners tune in)

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Code:
<html><head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
<script type="text/javascript" src="jwplayer/jwplayer.js"></script>
</head>

<body bgcolor="#FFFFFF" text="#000000">

<div id="container">Loading the player ...</div>

<script type="text/javascript">
jwplayer("container").setup({
flashplayer: "/jwplayer/player.swf",
file: "http://uk2.internet-radio.com:31108/;*.nsv",
provider: "sound",
autostart: "true"
});
</script>

</body>

</html>

Had a quick play with it and the above code works. Essentially you need the file: parameter to be configured in the above way specifically. Also provider:"sound" needs to be there. You can tweak the other variables as you need.

Port blocking shouldn't affect this as its the client who makes the connection not your server.

Regarding WMP its not recommended as it wont work with Linux / Max users. The JW (or any Flash / HTML5) method is much more compatible with different OS's etc..

Here is another good Flash player that we use in our directory : http://www.musesradioplayer.com/

Last edited by a moderator: