Bots Connecting & people stealing Music instead of listening to it

Hi.
Got a strange problem I have my Radio Station & play my Music for people to listen to it NOT to steal my Music. I got a probelm with Bots connecting to my station. One is from here >>> RIPE Network Coordination Centre IP is 86.167.58.215 I found out it is a Bot cause when I had to reboot my computer they came right back on with two connections for over two days continously. Who the hell are they & how can I prevent Bots from connecting to my station & stop people from just connecting to steal my Music. Evidently these people who do this are very irrigant people thinking they can do what they want with whoevers stuff that they want. I'm especially concerned about this one particular IP Addy & network I've mentioned I would appreciate knowing more about who the hell or what the hell this RIPE Network is. Thank You. DJ-SirDuke
P.S. I hate banning anybody cause I want people connected to my Station BUT not if they aren't there just to listen to my station. Thank You

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Good question DJ Sir Duke :)

RIPE is Network Coordination Authority and not the user of the IP so its not Ripe doing it.

The actual IP user info can be found on ripes site here by using their WHOIS database search :

Welcome to RIPE.NET

Ff the IP is bothering you then ban it. Otherwise there really isn't much else you can do. You can ban IP's from the 'Server Administration' section in the control panel. It will take you to your shoutcast page where you then login using the 'Admin Login' link. The username is admin and the password is the same as your control panel. You can ban them from there.

Hope this helps :)

Forgot one question

How do I ban a whole subnet ??? What do I need to put into those 3 spaces to ban a whole subnet. AND exactly what is a subnet anyway? lol I was thinking a whole subnet is a whole bunch of IPs from a certain ISP? Thank you

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Lets use this IP as an example : 84.16.251.251

Each space is for one of the numbers so to ban the above IP you would enter 84 16 251 251

A subnet would be 84 16 251 and would ban all the ips :

84 16 251 1
84 16 251 2
84 16 251 3
84 16 251 255

You can google subnets to learn more.

StormCountry

Trouble is though how do we know when it's a bot and not a real person. I would hate to ban an IP when it actually could be a genuine listener!

Is there any site that can identify IP addresses as bots?

D

DiscoDave

We had this problem - a host of bots logged on and used up all the listeners slots all in one go so no-one else could logon. From memory, it shows up as a bot in the control panel when you click on View Current Listeners. They all came from the same IP address too, so that's a good way to identify them. Simply banning the one IP address did the trick - they have never been back!

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Its hard to identify if an IP is a bot or a real person. Some bots are listed on websites so googling them might give you some more info.

bogtramp

I think you'll find if you do an nslookup on the IP address it will come back as a BT Central IP Address (host86-167-58-215.range86-167.btcentralplus.com) and probably not a bot. Maybe an over zealous listener that couldn't be bothered for the stream to buffer before they re tried. I know it's a bit late for this reply, but I thought I'd add this for future reference!

To use nslookup open up a command prompt window and type nslookup then a space and then the ip address ie C:\nslookup 86.167.58.215 and then press enter.

HoddzDJ

If you google the IP address, most bots will be on "Bot Databases" and this is what all sorts of sites use to stop them registering on their forums or visiting their sites altogether!! It's a big problem for a lot of radio sites, especially for this "Pay as you go" system, but you have to take the rough with the smooth really.