Duplicate Listeners

In the last few weeks our listener stats have been showing a lot of duplicate listeners in the stats.

Is this the hosts 'bumping up' the stats or is there another reason for this.

For example the same ip address will show up ten times for the online listeners tab.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi rocketradio,

Right OK, we see. At the moment, we are not seeing any duplicate IP's from your current listeners in your control panel.

We have actually come across this once before a few months back on another account. It was related to a player bug that was connecting to the stream multiple times. Some players (especially older flash based players) are known to do this. You may have noticed that it shows "MPEG Overide (Unknown Player)" or its also commonly with listeners through "Mozilla 5.0" which are are both useragents for flash / html based players.

By the way, you should have recently received an email from us about our new server upgrades. Now might be a good time for you to move your account across to our new servers and make use of the new and improved Centova Cast v3 control panel. This will remove any such issues with duplicate IP's showing in the control panel.

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
usually its reconnections from a flaky player or other client software (also where the end user has an intermittent wireless connection); but on the new Centovacast panel the details are indeed more accurate.

There would be no advantage in streaming hosts altering the connection figures (it would take more effort and resources to do this than to report them honestly!)

I've just tested the new panel stats after changing VFR Europe over as I'd wondered how the software handles multiple listeners behind a NAT router/firewall who would all have the same external IP address (such as a shared student house/halls of residence or some cable and mobile ISPs); and it detects all the separate "listeners" correctly.

The first two are genuine overseas listeners; the next 3 are from devices I deliberately triggered from my home with different clients (they all have my own external IP address shown); the listening times are correct.

BTW the last one is what Tune In on Android seems to show up as.

15051874150_859b6f057b_o.png

Hi rocketradio,

Right OK, we see. At the moment, we are not seeing any duplicate IP's from your current listeners in your control panel.

We have actually come across this once before a few months back on another account. It was related to a player bug that was connecting to the stream multiple times. Some players (especially older flash based players) are known to do this. You may have noticed that it shows "MPEG Overide (Unknown Player)" or its also commonly with listeners through "Mozilla 5.0" which are are both useragents for flash / html based players.

By the way, you should have recently received an email from us about our new server upgrades. Now might be a good time for you to move your account across to our new servers and make use of the new and improved Centova Cast v3 control panel. This will remove any such issues with duplicate IP's showing in the control panel.

To be honest we havent had the e-mail. Can you resend to pm9615489@gmail.com please?

Thanks for the reply.