Internet Radio Becoming more popular????

OldiesDJ

Re :

Noticing more that internet radio becoming more popular. More people preferring to tune into internet stations online and with apps its making life easier for people to tune into station?
[ end quote ]

I personally have noticed as an Oldies station owner that with the older crowd , we have added may many more listeners over the last year.
That however may also be due to the fact that

A) We are the first internet radio station to ever do a live 6 hour broadcast from within Studio A of Motown, hitsville USA in Detroit Michigan

and

B) We just added our own TV show onto our website that features celebrity Interviews with the Great voices of the past.

So with that in mind, I imagine that more and more people are going to realize that FM radio really has nothing to offer to the future of technology whereas Internet radio has much to offer !

John

radiodirect

Even though Internet Radio is becoming more popular, you still have people who listen to the old fashion am/fm stations. The cost of radio advertising is still growing, 92% of Americans still listen to the radio every week!

OldiesDJ

Internet TV

Definitely becoming more popular. Finding my site Broadcasting World is having to expand its audience, even Internet TV is making a comeback!

Yes Internet TV is definitley doing well , I do a 30 minute internet TV interview show with the legends who paved the way for todays artists, names like :
* Bobby Vinton
* Pat Boone
* The Cowsills
and many many more . . . . .
And we have had great success with this , even have expanded in 2 states on public access TV !
So I am in agreement with you.

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this is true but most likely (especially with TV) due to the rise in the use of tablets connected a local wi-fi connection, and or/ "second/third device" culture. This has implications for the funding models of many stations.

Here in the UK, It is now affordable to get one or two cheap Android mobile phones, many of which can take dual SIMS and can be used as a 3G wireless access point (to provide mobile broadband to a larger tablet or a laptop when there is no local wifi available). Even free SIMS give fairly generous data plans in the UK; plenty enough for many hours of radio at good audio quality (192k MP3 or 96k AAC-LC) and maybe an hour or two of television).

This also means the device you are listening to radio on (especially if installed with the Deadbeef player) can be dedicated to this purpose, and connected to decent loudspeakers or headphones; and something else used for phone calls, tweets and the like (that way these won't interrupt your listening/viewing as much!)

Unfortunately I see too many folk falliing down the rabbit hole of an "individual app for each station".

Many folk do not own devices with enough memory to do this; added to which they are unlikely to look at the ads these apps often foist on the users, let alone click on them. I recently read an article in British media aimed at online marketers which pointed out that the only things selling on mobile screen ads are for services where completing the sale requires a telephone call to a real human being; which is what all the marketing companies have been trying to avoid for the past 20 years :rofl:. And of course if that was on the same app as your radio, the advertisers phone call would distract your listeners.

The Dutch call this practice "giving the cat his violin" (i.e a pointless idea, the English "cat and the fiddle" is a mistranslation of "le chat fidèle" ( a faithful European cat, which is actually a cross between the European wildcat and the Asian wildcat (the breeds which produce the Siamese). those who have ever had one as a pet will know they are faithful to family groups, but can make plenty enough noise from meowing without needing a violin!)

There is nothing wrong or unusual about putting short ad breaks between the radio or TV content, which is where everyone expects to see or hear them, but not as long as the conventional linear stations; as its the increasing length of those which discourages their listeners/viewers.

Ulyssees

Internet radio vs DAB radio

Anyone who already has a decent wifi signal in the property where their radio will be played just needs to consider these facts ...

- a good quality DAB radio costs £160 - £170 and connects to around 40 channels (UK)

- a good quality internet radio costs no more than £150 and connects to thousands of stations

... and then ask himself/herself this simple question

Which of these types of radio offers me the best value for your money?

The one offering the best value for money is surely the one to buy.

Roberts radio have recently replaced their highly acclaimed 83i with the 93i. This costs no more than the model it replaced, but several internet traders are asking 'silly money' for 83i's. If you are in the UK, a well respected department store is selling the 93i with a 2 year warranty for the RRP. Best price is only £6 less than RRP at the date of this post but you only get a 1 year warranty - I don't know why that is.

Last edited: