Internet Radio Streaming via shoutcast via linux installed via an ftp server

good cat

I’m currently in the process of building an Internet Radio Stream, I want my website, goodcat.co.uk, to be hosting a 24/7 web stream of new local music as tracks on a playlist with some of the tracks being interviews/sessions/features and talk segments that are shuffled with all the other tracks and played continuously. I want to build it so updating the track list is easy and hassle free, and putting in a new interview or a new track is as easy as dragging and dropping into an iTunes playlist.

My first point of call was somewhere between Shoutcast and Icecast However, I will be controlling the stream from my MacBook running OS X, and since I can’t have my laptop running 24/7 I’m either going need to buy some server hardware (expensive!) or find an alternative remote host.

A second issue I keep hitting is the lack of compatibility a lot of the programs I am finding have with OS X. One program I have found, nicecast, will run on Steve Jobs branded machines, but at a cost. I could torrent it, but that somehow feels like cheating, and besides, it doesn’t get me past my 24/7 streaming issue as my laptop will have to be switched on whenever I want to be streaming

goodcat.co.uk is hosted by one.com and with this in mind, I considered running the stream off of the server, this sounds simple enough but after a foray into the ins and outs of server application operating systems, it seems to be easier said than done. But powering on through the morning, I have decided to venture forth with Linux Server. I want to install it over an FTP server, cyberduck being my weapon of choice.

Once Linux is installed on my one.com hosted server, I will attempt to install all the necessary programs needed to operate the internet radio stream which will then be hosted on the one.com server… hopefully.

I have absolutley no idea if I'm going about this the right way, and the number of snags I keep hitting mean I'm probably doing something wrong or missing a vital point. Please help a complete programming (but quick learning) newbie.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
I’m currently in the process of building an Internet Radio Stream, I want my website, goodcat.co.uk, to be hosting a 24/7 web stream of new local music as tracks on a playlist with some of the tracks being interviews/sessions/features and talk segments that are shuffled with all the other tracks and played continuously. I want to build it so updating the track list is easy and hassle free, and putting in a new interview or a new track is as easy as dragging and dropping into an iTunes playlist.

My first point of call was somewhere between Shoutcast and Icecast However, I will be controlling the stream from my MacBook running OS X, and since I can’t have my laptop running 24/7 I’m either going need to buy some server hardware (expensive!) or find an alternative remote host.

Your best bet would be to stream using Shoutcast. We have a Pro's and Con's thread here : http://forum.internet-radio.org.uk/faq/179-shoutcast-icecast-server.html Worth a read.

A second issue I keep hitting is the lack of compatibility a lot of the programs I am finding have with OS X. One program I have found, nicecast, will run on Steve Jobs branded machines, but at a cost. I could torrent it, but that somehow feels like cheating, and besides, it doesn’t get me past my 24/7 streaming issue as my laptop will have to be switched on whenever I want to be streaming

Nicecast is an excellent piece of software well worth the one off payment for.

goodcat.co.uk is hosted by one.com and with this in mind, I considered running the stream off of the server, this sounds simple enough but after a foray into the ins and outs of server application operating systems, it seems to be easier said than done. But powering on through the morning, I have decided to venture forth with Linux Server. I want to install it over an FTP server, cyberduck being my weapon of choice.

Once Linux is installed on my one.com hosted server, I will attempt to install all the necessary programs needed to operate the internet radio stream which will then be hosted on the one.com server… hopefully.

I have absolutley no idea if I'm going about this the right way, and the number of snags I keep hitting mean I'm probably doing something wrong or missing a vital point. Please help a complete programming (but quick learning) newbie.

Cyberduck is also a good piece of software for FTP. You could indeed host an Auto DJ on your Linux server and take care of the streaming that way.

Alternatively we offer an Auto DJ service which allows you to FTP your files to the server and then manage the music in playlists and with the media library that comes with the Auto DJ.

We hope this helps explain things further for you. Let us know if you have any more questions or you require any clarifications.