Internet Rado Streaming Interruped by Buffering

John K. White

I have a couple of C. Crane Wi Fi radios that receive internet streaming from an AT&T router. From time to time the streamed transmissions are interrupted by buffering. I have changed routers twice and the problem still exists. Would an adapter that routes the signals through the house electrical wiring help, or is the buffing from periodic overload use of the internet which I have no control over?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Its sounds like that its either your Crane device is maybe only picking up a weak wifi signal or perhaps other devices and their bandwidth usage on your network is causing the buffering issue.

We can only really suggest temporarily removing other devices on your wifi network which could be consuming lots of bandwidth to see if that helps. Also, try moving your Radio closer to your router to see if that improves anything.

If that fails, its probably best contacting the Crane manufacturers for advice on this. :)

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a couple of C. Crane Wi Fi radios that receive internet streaming from an AT&T router. From time to time the streamed transmissions are interrupted by buffering. I have changed routers twice and the problem still exists. Would an adapter that routes the signals through the house electrical wiring help, or is the buffing from periodic overload use of the internet which I have no control over?

try putting the radios very close to the router, or if possible check the router stats for connection drops. Routers supplied by the telephone company tend to be a lot lower power these days on the wifi.

you can also check with a WLAN signal analyser (there are some free apps for android) for intereference. If you can get hold of a scanner for these UHF frequencies (unfortunately they aren't cheap) there are other devices like cordless headphones that create intereference.

You could add another WLAN access point in your house to make the signal stronger; but 2.4 GHz is very congested nowadays, and 5 GHz will no doubt follow.

Even in my small British house the router signal gets interference from the neighbours, I will need to put the router antennas elsewhere (I used to have the router out in the stairwell but there will be way too many cables if I did that).

Also the layout of your house affects things, most modern buildings have all metal connected to earth ground and that blocks wifi signals.

if you have kids/wife or anyone else in the house, they may also be using other bandwidth hungry gadgets...

Don't use the power line adapter; you may as well just run cat5/6 cable from your router to the access point. Its cheaper, safer, uses less electric and doesn't make worse interference to those who still also enjoy analogue radio.