Non Profit or For-Profit Advise?

zach21uk

Hi There,

I am running an internet radio station with licenses both from the PRS and PPL in the UK. We also have the equivilant license in the United States.

The station has grown very rapidly since its creation and we are now looking to start taking on board advertisers from January 2011. The station consists of around 25 volunteer DJs who will remain unpaid, the station owner (me) and 2 managers who will be paid, as we each spend over 20 hours per week working on the station.

We are running into some confusion about wether we should register as a not-for-profit or for-profit organization. We are going to be operating with a not-for-profit model, meaning that we will only be covering our time and expense incurred to operate the station, however, it is been suggested that a "not-for-profit" radio station cannot accept advertisers and can only "underwrite short 60 second advertising spots at the beginging or end of a show".

An underwriting spot is an announcement made on public broadcasting outlets, especially in the United States, in exchange for funding. These spots usually mention the name of the sponsor, and can resemble traditional advertising in commercial broadcasting. However, there are legal restrictions, such as a prohibition of making product claims, announcing prices, or providing an incentive to buy a product or service.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with not-for-profit or for-profit models in relation to an internet radio station and if you can advise me as to what road is the road to go down.

In addition, I am located in the UK along with one of my managers, however our manager and designer/artist are both in the US and would both be paid as part of the organization. Therefore, would we need to register as a not-for-profit or for-profit in both the UK and United States, or could we just do it in one?

Thanks for any advise,
Zach