Questions About Radio License

Mark1985

I know who to go for for a radio license, PRS, but just want to know what the cost would be.
I plan to add around 10,000 - 15,000 songs but at the moment it would be about 3,000 - 5,000.
It would just only be a radio and that's it.

It will be online 24/7.

Can anyone give me an estimate of how much it would cost?
Also is this the correct page to sign up to for it as if or when I do,......... Home

I will however not be doing anything what the license also covers on that page if it is the correct one.

Thanks,
Mark

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Mark

Some of our users here might be able to help you but really you should ask the PRS and PPL direct for a definite answer.

D

DiscoDave

Hi,

You need 2 licences for broadcasting. PRS and PPL. The cost very much depends on the number of listener hours and streams people connect to. All details are on the PRS and PPL websites.

Hope this helps.

Mark1985

Well like I said, it would be online 24/7, and probably set it to 2000-3000 max listeners.

Why two licenses and not just one?

Sorry, I'm useless when coming to this.

Also on the first link, which one of the two do I need to apply to or is it both?

It would also have DJ shows as well which I didn't mention.

I notice that with one UK based radio it said it was licenses by PRS and not PPL?

Last edited:

Mark1985

Well all I want to know is do I sign up for both of them things on the PRS page? And what about the PPL as I can't see the sign up page on there.

D

DiscoDave

You need 2 licences because PRS look after Performing Rights - you are playing these audio files/songs to the listeners via the internet. Any radio broadcast is a Public Performance which is covered under the PRS licence.

PPL stands for phonographic performances ltd. As you are playing music from CD, Vinyl, Tape or MP3 files you need this licence in order to use any of these formats.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DiscoDave

Should also mention about listeners and the size of PPL licence you may require.... If you go for the small webcaster licence you are allowed a maximum of 50 listener hours per day. To put this into proportion - 10 listeners tuned into your radio station for 5 hours = your 50 listener hours.

The standard webcaster licence allows you 500 listener hours per day, so you could have 250 listeners per day tuned in for 2 hours and that would be you at your maximum level.

Here is the link to the pricing for the standard PPL licence

PPL : standard webcaster licence

Note: These licences are for non-interactive radio services (e.g. you cannot offer Podcasts or any listen again service - the service must be streamed live and you cannot allow listeners to influence the track order or allow them to save your broadcasts)

Mark1985

Well I am after more listeners, such as I did say 2000-3000, even 800 max listeners would be fine.

Also I do possibly, not sure yet, want a listen again service but not Podcast service.

So basically I want a kind of medium ish license yet can't find anything on that site about it.

There is a station I listen to that exceeds the amount you said which is called NonStopPlay and does offer listen back and Podcasts. Also it says it's licensed by

PPL UK, the MCPS & PRS Alliance and BMI

though you ain't said anything about BMI.

Such as I am fine with the cost being around £2000 per Annually or just a little over.

Last edited:
D

DiscoDave

PPL only offer 2 licences for online radio - small and standard

The link below is the standard one

PPL : standard webcaster licence

The best thing to do is probably contact PPL directly - tell them how many listeners you are expecting - they should be able to advise you of pricing structures etc... PRS is the other body you need to contact. They are the only 2 bodies if you're using commercially available music from CD, Vinyl, Tape or MP3. You also need to pay PPL a "dubbing fee" for the number of tracks you have stored on your computer / server hard disk.

Again - contact them directly as they are the experts.