Receiving email from you

seb303

Hi,

I have an Internet Radio related query which I will post in another thread, but first I wanted to check what's going on with emails from you. I emailed with a support request on 6th November to contact@internet-radio.org.uk and never heard back. A few days later I sent the same support request via your contact form and again never heard back. Today I've tried to set up a forum account and never received the activation email. I then tried using another email account and received it right away.

This is very unusual that my email account doesn't receive emails (I have checked all spam filters, etc.) so would you mind checking for me please if you are getting any kind of bounce back email from my address and what it says.

My email address which isn't receiving from you: seb AT burnit DOT co DOT uk

Thanks,
Seb

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi Seb. Yes, we are pleased that you have got in contact through the forum. We tried to email you several times at that email address in regards to your Icecast latency questions, but we constantly recieved the same error message which you can see below. We have noticed that all other emails sent to that address since July (when you registered) have also failed.

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

seb@burnit.co.uk

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the recipient domain. We recommend contacting the other email provider for further information about the cause of this error. The error that the other server returned was: 550 550 5.7.1 <seb@burnit.co.uk>: Recipient address rejected: QUEUE_ID="" SPF Reports: 'SPF Permanent Error: Unknown mechanism found: ~all.' (state 14).

seb303

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Actually it looks like the problem is the SPF record for your domain....

dig txt internet-radio.org.uk
=>
internet-radio.org.uk. 1800 IN TXT "v=spf1 a ip4:77.92.68.221 ip4:83.170.104.91 ip4:83.170.104.183 include:_spf.google.com ~all."

There shouldn't be a "." on the end of ~all
So my mail server is rejecting the message because your SPF record is invalid.

I'll have a word with my hosting company and see if they can relax this, but really the problem is with your DNS configuration.

Cheers,
Seb

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Thanks for the info Seb. We have requested that the dot is dropped from our SPF record.

Please allow upto 24 hours for this to happen. :)

seb303

Hi,

That's good that your hosting company will fix this. I asked mine and they would not relax their SPF rules - which is fair enough as the whole point of SPF is that receiving mail servers obey the specified mechanism. They pointed out that your emails are probably also not being delivered to other recipients too, perhaps without you knowing - not every mail server will give a bounce-back as usually a failed SPF check is a clear indication of spam.

By the way, I checked again today and can see that your DNS has still not been changed - even querying your nameservers directly, there's still a dot on the end of ~all

Anyway, thankfully you also have the forum to communicate!

Cheers,
Seb

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Apologies, we did send two emails. I have just got off the phone and they have done it now. Its still propagating but would be interested if this fixes the issue for you. Let us know :)

seb303

DNS looks good now.

D'you wanna send me a test email to the burnit address and see what happens....

Cheers,
Seb