Repeated disconnections from server?

SLCR

Hi, more problems I'm afraid (southleedscr)... we're getting lots of reports from listeners that they're being disconnected from the stream every two minutes or so, which is what has also been happening here.

We're running BUTT under Xubuntu. The connection to the server drops and re-connects many times through the day. I initially thought this was a problem with the Internet access in our building, but the same computer happily stays connected to our backup stream for days at a time.

I've also tried running BUTT on a Windows machine, and currently we're trying Edcast under Windows in an effort to eliminate all possibilities. Unfortunately we're still experiencing the same problems with listeners getting disconnected, excessive buffering etc.

Thanks for your help!

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi there, sorry to hear of your problems. We have recieved a system notification that you that you have been broadcasting at a bit rate of 128 kbps, while the bit rate limit for your account is only 64 kbps. If you exceed your bitrate limit this will cause the stream to not work correctly.

You need to adjust your streaming source settings to use a bit rate of no more than 64 kbps, then login to your control panel and use the "Start Server" button to restart your streaming server. Hope this helps 8)

SLCR

Yes, that happened when we were switching between BUTT and Edcast, 128Kbps being the default setting. I've since changed this and restarted the server.

We're streaming at 64Kbps now and still experiencing the same problems described in the OP.

SLCR

Just did a speed test on our connection FYI

1744296228.png

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
The speedtest is not too relevant these days as all broadband connections are more than fast enough. Whats important is the latency to the server. We have a guide here on using the "mtr" tool to diagnose latency (packet loss) issues : http://forum.internet-radio.com/guides/535-how-use-mtr-tool-analyse-network-problems.html

If you could run the mtr tool when you have problems and let us know the results it will help us diagnose where the issue is coming from.

There is also an FAQ here which is a bit basic as you guys seem to be quite techy but worth a read anyways :

http://forum.internet-radio.com/faq/18-my-radio-buffering-skipping.html

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Tuning in to your station we notice that at this moment its playing quite garbled music. There's no buffering or disconnections. Its as if the track is like it. Not sure if this is related to your problem...

SLCR

Tuning in to your station we notice that at this moment its playing quite garbled music. There's no buffering or disconnections. Its as if the track is like it. Not sure if this is related to your problem...
If you're listening at 0430 our time you will hear some pretty weird stuff :) The problem we're having is repeated disconnections from your server, and users reporting excessive buffering or complete disconnection.

I've sent the MTR log file to your 'contact' email address just now. Thanks again.