Sam

Hello music lovers around the world, I was not sure where to post this
so Admin please excuse if it is misplaced :(

I am a DJ/Moderator/Presenter and am new to the Forum,
Have been reading through Posts and have noticed that many stations insist on Sam Broadcaster.

I have one question: WHY ?

I use VDJ, I can stream both Shoutcast and IceCast, Have a very good quality audio with
a high quality Microphone, and I mix Live where required using external hardware

So please somebody tell me, why should I use Sam ?

Thanks in advance for all constructive replies.

Phil MaGiK

Mayedd

Hello music lovers around the world, I was not sure where to post this
so Admin please excuse if it is misplaced :(

I am a DJ/Moderator/Presenter and am new to the Forum,
Have been reading through Posts and have noticed that many stations insist on Sam Broadcaster.

I have one question: WHY ?

I use VDJ, I can stream both Shoutcast and IceCast, Have a very good quality audio with
a high quality Microphone, and I mix Live where required using external hardware

So please somebody tell me, why should I use Sam ?

Thanks in advance for all constructive replies.

Phil MaGiK

I think it's down to inexperienced station personnel to be honest. On my station I have no concern over what system DJs use to stream as it makes no difference.

I think it's down to inexperienced station personnel to be honest. On my station I have no concern over what system DJs use to stream as it makes no difference.

Yes Probably and to be honest I didnt really expect a reply from the Stations concerned ;)

I just wanted to clear up some misconceptions concerning VDJ. I have heard things like...

1:"You cant use a Microphone with VDJ"....Of course you can and it works perfectly !
2:"VDJ will not work with IceCast or IceCast2" Well wrong again, it does and it works very well.

Any DJ´s having problems with the above please email me, it really is simple.

I dont intend to comment on the Pro's & Con's of either VDJ or SAM, But I would like to explain why I personally
preferr and use VDJ.

1: I cant connect an External Contorller to SAM
2: VDJ-Premium gives me instant access to an Online database of 20+ Million Tunes
3: SAM just does not allow me enough creativity to be able to perform my shows as I can
and do with VDJ

So for Station Owners and Managers who Insist on Sam, Please rethink on this, you may be turning away
some very good DJ´s. I certainly refrained from applying for some Vacancies because SAM was a requirement.

Take Care & Be Good (Not)

Waiting Impatiently for VDJ 8:)

Phil MaGiK

Last edited:
What is your method of connecting VDJ to Icecast 2 server?

I'll appreciate your tutorial about this. My e-mail - wavemix106@gmail.com

Thanks.

WaveMix 106

I am answering this here so that Radio Station Managers and Owners can read and perhaps
then offer some support to VDJ Users.

The main difference when setting up your VDJ for Icecast as opposed to Shoutcast is the "Mountpoint"
where the hell does it go ? is the normal question..

Make sure VDJ is correctly installed and up to date, Older versions may not support IceCast2
present version is 7.4

Below is an example of stream data/info you may recieve from the Station/Server you wish to
broadcast to Using IceCast2 & AirTime.

Server: BigBadRadio.in.airtime.pro
Mountpoint: BadRadio_Show
Port: 8001
Password: EasyStuff

The Mountpoint needs to be entered directly after Server seperated only by a Forward Slash (/)
so the entry in the Server box for the above mentioned station would look like this....

BigBadRadio.in.airtime.pro/BadRadio_Show

All other data is entered exactly as if you were using Shoutcast
that forward slash is VERY Important, Forget it and it will fail !

Oh, and dont forget to select your format OGG or MPEG Icecast2 does both
but it does depend on the station setup.

Easy huh ?....

Take care & have fun.... Phil MaGiK

Phil.Magik@GMX.De

Roby

Interesting thread. I don't think I ever insisted on my DJs having to use a particular software, so long as they could connect to the server. I think I may have suggested SAM if people needed to turn to something, if only cause it's the easiest out of the box and I knew I'd be able to assist if necessary. No guarantee if they come with some archaic linux program that only 27 people have, hahaha. ;)

That said, as long as you can connect and sound good, You can use your barbeque if you want.

Roby

Tony Peters

What Dj,s Should Know
Is Vdj Is A Mixing Software
And Sam Broadcaster Is Radio Software (Non Mixing)

I Use Sam Broadcaster And If I Mix
Then I Use A Extenail Mixers Connected To Sam,s Mic Input
But It Won,t Show Tracks You Play..

With Me I Think Sam Broadcaster Sounds Better As With TheSound Processor It Has Ect..

But It,s Up To Dj What He Is Used To Play On..

Demo

Alot of the problem is to do with the settings in Icecast. If these are not set correct, It dont matter what ip / pass etc is. You must have Shoutcast compatability set up for software like VDJ / Traktor etc to work.

The following shows how we can extend a single listen-socket to work with shoutcast style source clients. There are two issues shoutcast source clients have over icecast source clients, one is the lack of mountpoint and the second is the requirement of two ports. Both of these issues are handled by a simple addition in the listen-socket.

<listen-socket>
<port>8000</port>
<shoutcast-mount>/live.mp3</shoutcast-mount>
</listen-socket>

As before the port specified is allocated but this time the shoutcast-mount implicity defines a second listening socket whose port number is always one higher than the port defined, this also informs icecast of which mountpoint the shoutcast source client on this socket will be using. Using this approach you can allow multiple shoutcast source clients to connect at the same time.
The following is just to show the longer approach to defining shoutcast compatability.

<shoutcast-mount>/live.nsv</shoutcast-mount>

<-- You may have multiple <listen-socket> elements -->
<listen-socket>
<port>8000</port>
</listen-socket>

<listen-socket>
<port>8001</port>
<shoutcast-compat>1</shoutcast-compat>
</listen-socket>

Note that multiple listen-socket sections may be configured in order to have icecast2 listen on multiple network interfaces or multiple ports. If a bind-address is not specified for a particular listen-socket, then the socket will be bound to all interfaces (including IPv6 if available). For most people, the bind-address option will not be required and often confuses people.

Hope this helps :D

Last edited: