Skype Podcast converting to Mono

MykeH

Hi Guys

Hope someone can help. I am doing Skype Interviews that I want to broadcast as a later date as a Podcast.

To get around the the the annoying left and right channel thing where for example I am heard on the left channel and the person on the otherside is on the right.

I take the MP3 file into Audacity split the channels and convert it to mono

I then convert the file to 64Kbps because that is what I broadcast at.

I test it with Winamp locally or WMP no problems

However for some reason when I play the file through the Server hosted by Internet Radio the file does not play properly - it jerks and cuts out.and basically I have rest retsart my player which is FFMP3

What else should I be looking at with these Mono Mp3 files Bit Rates etc????

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi there.

Have you tried converting the mono file back into stereo and then converting it into mp3 at 64kb?

MykeH

Issue with Mono Audio MP3 files at 64Kbps

Thank you for your response - that is a great idea - I checked the one of my files that do work and interestingly it is in Stereo.

I suspect there in lies the clue (well spotted) also I am using the FFMpeg Flash player on my website which may also be the culprit.

The reason I say that is when I listen via Winamp or Windows Media Player the troublesome files seems to work OK

I have now embedded the Windows Media Player on my webpage and see how that goes. - it is ugly compared to FFMPEG Player

I will also try your suggestion to take the offending Mp3 file back to stereo.may do a Split Stereo (Mono on Left & Right)

It would be great if I can find a way to test this offline by that I mean not having to do it on air

Last edited:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Ok, well keep us posted on how you get on with this. :)

As for the testing, you could perhaps set your server to private in your encoder settings for just a small amount of time, just so that you can test this! We are not aware of any real offline solutions for testing purposes.

MykeH

Think I have made a bit more progress it would seem FFMP3 is flaky - if I play just music it work fine for a while but soon it like the buffering runs out causing the the music to start stuttering. However while this is happening if I fire up Winamp the problem is not showing up there -Hmmmmm

QUESTION - Can Anyone recommend a Bulletproof flash player - I am all for open source and free BUT there is nothing like have a company one can kick if things are not working as it should especially if it has been paid for

I have tried WMP Player but the Visualization is ugly - not sure how to turn it off

Anyone?- Recommend a Player?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Most flash players use the same underlying technology to stream internet radio. Its unlikely FFMP3 is the culprit and more likely the version of flash that you are running.

We recommend that you upgrade your flash version, or reinstall, or perhaps try it on a completely different machine.

MykeH

OK I cracked part of it - you right it was not the player it was me being a Numpty :)

The answer is the audio MUST be stereo and not MONO. BUT having said that I have cured my Station ID problem.

I have not tried Skype Interviews.

Also downgrading from 128Kbps there is a noticeable drop in audio quality - hmmm - make me rethink my broadcasting at 64Kbps maybe not such a goo dide.

BTW: the Latest version oif Audacity BETA rocks - some rleally nice features I also downloaded Wavepad and had a play but did not find it as intuitive as Audacity

Just my 2 cents

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Great, we are pleased you have resolved this (to some extent). We did think having the files in mono was causing the issue.

We will check out the new Beta Audacity, cheers 8)

MykeH

I have been scouring the Internet looking for answers to my issue.

I found some posting on SourceForge posted this year describing very similar issues I am having and it all seems (not certain) to be ICECAST related.

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]https://sourceforge.net/projects/ffmp3/forums/forum/985427/topic/4008799/index/page/1[/FONT][/FONT]

Player hogs the processor which slowly climbs to around 70% and then the player bombs. It is sorted by clicking STOP on the Player and then START again BUT the problem does come back which is annoying

I think the player is great but I now give up.

Can someone please recommend a player that works with ICECAST I will even pay for it - I just want the Player to work.

Failing that I am going to ask the Support guys to Switch me to Shoutcast. It seems to be the Industry standardard. Yes you have to manually stop the source when you go live but in my view it is a small price to pay

Last edited: