Small Webcaster License advice

betahifidelity

I have been researching the small webcaster license and it allows for an income of less than £5000 per year. How can this revenue be legally generated, Through advertisements or donations? I have also read that any presenters cannot announce specifically which tracks will be played, only the genre. How strict are the licensing authorities on these issues and can somebody suggest a legitimate small webcaster station for me to experience? Thanks in advance.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
We dont deal with licenses directly here but maybe some of our forum users who have been through the process can enlighten us :)

D

DiscoDave

Hi,

We are currently on the small webcaster licence, however you are limited to 50 listener hours per day which we exceeded. So next year we need to move to the standard webcaster licence.

You can generate income through adverts, sponsorship or donations - the choice is yours.

With regards to what tracks you will be playing - you can say "in the next hour we have music from...." (then name the artists) but you can't say what tracks you will be playing.

Hope this helps

betahifidelity

Thats just the info i was looking for thank you. I'm a little confused with the 50 listener hours per day though?Am i right in thinking that in theory, If two listeners were to listen for 24 hours, that would total 48 hours and nearly the allowed quota, Or am i missing the point|?

D

DiscoDave

Yes, that's exactly right. You multiply the number of listeners by the number of hours they each listen to get the total listener hours. 20 listeners x 2 hours = 40 listener hours.

betahifidelity

Thanks again m8 appreciated. That seems an incredibly low amount of streams to make it viable, 24 hour operation would be allmost impossible once ppl regularly tune in? The small webcaster license sounds more like a friends and family license? I was just about to apply for the small webcaster license but unless i'm mistaken, The 50 listener hour rule is stated nowhere on the application. Quite a big jump in price to the standard license, Why could'nt they provide something in between? On top of which i would also need the license to cover the publishing royalties, Another £300 or so? I think the ppl need to get more realistic and they would probably generate more revenue, Just my opinion and thanks again, I like you're station by the way.

D

DiscoDave

The restrictions are quite low, I agree - we've been in the same situation here too. Can't understand why they don't have one in between - the standard webcaster licence allows 500 listener hours per day in comparison, and is about £920. On the plus side, there is no limit of £5000 annual turnover, you can make as much money as you like.

Remember that you also need to get a PRS licence too (just incase you didn't realise). We've budgeted for approx. £1,500 for next year PPL and PRS.

Thanks for the comments about the station.
:rofl:

betahifidelity

I might just bite the bullet and go for the small webcasters license and keep the hours low. I'm now seeing big benefits in a talk radio style station, It would bypass all of this. Sadly i'm not much of a presenter but i know my music, A long think is in order.:nerd:

gillorien

PPL and PRS licencing

Hi
Am I right in thinking though that even if you have a talk radio station you will still need PPL and PRS licences for using music in jungles and idents?

If this is so, does anyone know how this works in respect of listener hours - as i read it its hours listening to copyrighted music so if my radio station broadcast 1 music hour and 5 talk hours and 20 ppl listened it would only be 20 hrs towards the licence (+any cumulative hours of music used in jungles and idents) Have I got that right?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Hi
Am I right in thinking though that even if you have a talk radio station you will still need PPL and PRS licences for using music in jungles and idents?

If this is so, does anyone know how this works in respect of listener hours - as i read it its hours listening to copyrighted music so if my radio station broadcast 1 music hour and 5 talk hours and 20 ppl listened it would only be 20 hrs towards the licence (+any cumulative hours of music used in jungles and idents) Have I got that right?

If the jingles you are using contain original music created by yourself (or someone from your station etc) then there would be no need to worry about licensing.

As previously stated above, we dont deal with licenses directly here but maybe some of our other forum users can assist you with this. :)