Step by Step guide for going LIve with Icecast

MykeH

Hi Guys

This may have been asked already - in which case apologies for the duplication.

I have an Icecast Server hosted by Internet.Org and on my end SAM Broadcaster

AutoDj works like a charm.

I have tried to switch from AutoDj on the Host Server to SAM Broadcaster to go live and have found it to be a bit of a fiddle in the Control Panel.

It works BUT the switch is not smooth. My understanding was Icecast is great for this - Hmmm

QUESTION: Can someone please give a step by step process on how to do the switch over from AutoDJ stream to SAMBC for live broadcasting?

What I mean is what needs to happen in what order.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
You shouldn't have to log into the control panel to switch anything for Icecast. The Auto DJ is playing on the /autodj mountpoint and when you go live you connect to the /live mountpoint.

Listeners are tuning in on the /stream mounpoint. When /stream detects /live is present it moves the listeners from /autodj to /live. It should be very transparent and doesn't require any logging into the control panel to stop / start anything.

MykeH

What is happening is when I switch on the encoder my side in SAMBC the Stream from AutoDJ goes dead - dead air

I can see the stream happening myside via the encoder

See if you can see anything wonky

Here is my setup in SAMBC

IP
Port
Password
xxxxxx
Mount
/live

BitRate
128Kbps

Mode
Stereo

Sample

Thoughts?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Ok, firstly we recommend you use a sample rate of 44.1 khz instead of 22.05 khz.

Secondly, it sounds like perhaps your /live stream is playing the dead air from SAM which would be an issue with SAM and not the server. As you are an Icecast user /live takes priority over /autodj and it would give the impression that /autodj is playing dead air when really its your live stream thats playing the dead air if that makes sense??

MykeH

Cheers for that

I changed the SAMBC sample rate and it works much better. but I still had to Stop and start the player - this could be because of the mismatch between my current MP3 file setting and SAMBC setting

The reason I made my mp3's 22.05 Khz was when I used DBAmpPro to convert the files to 64Kbps it set it to 22.05,

That may just have been the default and did not realise then I can change it. But of course one can

QUESTION: Can I change the MP3 files which are currently 64Kbps (that's what I broadcast at) 22.05 khz to 44.1 khz without it affecting the sound of the MP3? It looks like that's what I need to do to make everything work seamlessly

Last edited:

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
QUESTION: Can I change the MP3 files which are currently 64Kbps (that's what I broadcast at) 22.05 khz to 44.1 khz without it affecting the sound of the MP3? It looks like that's what I need to do to make everything work seamlessly

Ideally you should convert your files again at this samplerate/bitrate from the original file or cd you got the tracks from.