The meaning behind Miley Cyrus' new song Flowers.

danigavid

The success of the song 'Flowers', created by Miley Cyrus, is indisputable. The singer wrote it as a result of the breakup with her ex-partner, actor Liam Hemsworth, and its lyrics are a plea for female empowerment and independence in such a situation. However, the artist has acknowledged to Vogue magazine that her initial intention when composing it was different.

This is what Cyrus explained to the aforementioned publication: "I really wrote it in a different way. The chorus was initially 'I can buy me flowers, I can write my name in the sand, but I can't love me any better than you do. The final version, which has been a huge international hit, had a different meaning.

The definitive lyrics of 'Flowers' by Miley Cyrus

In this sense, the final composition reads as follows, with a substantial change in the last part: "I can buy myself flowers, I can write my name in the sand, I can talk to me for hours and say things you can't understand, I can take me dancing and I can hold hands. Yes, I can love me better than you can."

Cyrus has explained in Vogue magazine that the intended tone for 'Flowers' was more of a "1950s" style. "It was the saddest song. Yes, I can be my own mistress, but you're so much better. The final version is a bit of faking it until you make it, which I'm a big fan of," the American singer has confessed.

Last edited: