Traktor sends metadata to Icecast but no sound is heard.

ihatespinach

I have Icecast and Shoutcast servers with internet-radio.com (Both are 128kbps)

When I use Traktor to send OGG Vorbis @ 128kbps to Icecast, the stream connects successfully using my server settings and I can see the metadata streaming in the player but hear no sound. Traktor Mix Record is set to Internal and I am using Internal Mixer mode too.

Can you say why this might be?

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Have you got the correct channels selected for each of the 'Monitor' and 'Master' outputs in your Internal Mixer preferences?

Also, the 'Traktor Mix Record' is for recording mixes internally without having to use other software. You should not need to have this enabled for streaming.

ihatespinach

Have you got the correct channels selected for each of the 'Monitor' and 'Master' outputs in your Internal Mixer preferences?

Also, the 'Traktor Mix Record' is for recording mixes internally without having to use other software. You should not need to have this enabled for streaming.

Will double check Monitor and Master outputs but am pretty sure they're connected to my sound card's Main Out.

Mix Record enables you to set the source for recording/ broadcasting. External allows you to select from NI sound card inputs whereas Internal selects the software (mixer) Main Out. Levels are registering on the record/ broadcast meters so I assume it's receiving sound.

I'm using a simple stereo sound card for this test (Edirol UA-25) so no assigning of outputs in Traktor.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
Yeah, its worth checking that you have the correct channels selected for each. Especially if your soundcard allows for separate headphone monitoring of your mixes.

To be honest, we have never needed to use the 'Mix Record' feature. All recording or streaming has always been done from a separate PC. :)

ihatespinach

Yeah, its worth checking that you have the correct channels selected for each. Especially if your soundcard allows for separate headphone monitoring of your mixes.

To be honest, we have never needed to use the 'Mix Record' feature. All recording or streaming has always been done from a separate PC. :)

I guess if you're using a separate PC to record/ stream then you're not receiving metadata like Artist, Title, etc? Either way, I've dropped metadata to keep things simple for now so not too woried. Hopefully this won't impact my reporting for PRS and PPL licensing - I need to report average number of tracks per hour and hope to see this in my IR reports.

I tried this test again (Traktor OGG to Icecast) and this time, I used my iPhone and another PC to listen. I couldn't get iTunes or WMP to play the OGG stream so am guessing they don't support the audio format. When I entered the stream URL in Google Chrome it defaulted to an embedded player and streamed fine (although no metadata) The iPhone streamed perfectly using Tunein.

So I figure it's about compatibility with OGG and I've therefore decided not to use Traktor (or OGG) for my stream. Will stream via audio cable to Edcast MP3 on a separate machine.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
No, this will not receive the metadata in this way.

We can supply the 'Total Listener Hours' for your station in regards to the PRS and PPL licensing. You can also see this in the stats overview in your control panel. For the "average number of tracks broadcast per hour" we suggest keeping a record of your playlists. We also suggest that you contact the the PPL for clarification on calculating this as they have he final say in how it should be calculated.

PPL

Personally not a fan of iTunes, so do not have it installed on this PC at present and therefore am unable to test this right now, but as far as we are aware it does not support this format. Ogg will however work with Winamp and possibly Windows Media Player though. But anyway, as we mentioned in one of your other threads. In all cases we would recommend Mp3 over any other format. Its more user friendly, more compatible with the media and flash based players and its less likely to cause you any issues. 8)

ihatespinach

I suspect not being able to hear OGG in WMP had something to do with the various bitrates you can select in Traktor? Though I did try to match to my server's 128k bit rate. WMP becomes very unstable when the stream goes wobbly - and I totally agree re. MP3 - will use it in future.

I will also keep a 'manual' eye on my playlists as auto-generated metadata can't be trusted lol..

Is there a way to log tracks played, using the IR Control Panel>View Statistics>Tracks tab?

I'm happy to use Edcast's metadata File feature (to manually update a .TXT file every time the track changes) but only if:

- the track name will be logged in my Control Panel

- File metadata doesn't overwrite stream metadata in the connection (name of stream, URL, etc)

- the audio stream isn't dropped/ impacted by updating the file and the processing of checking the file at regular intervals

- I can juggle a .TXT file while DJing!

General Lighting

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not 100% sure how traktor works but Virtual DJ will put the track in the history once its played for more than 30 seconds and its timestamped on the time its loaded in the player or maybe when PLAY was pressed.

this history file is stored for a fair few days/weeks - there should be plenty enough there for you or your volunteers to grab the playlist for the authorities if/when they want it.

I think there is a suitable file in Traktor as a DJ on Party Vibe had forgotten to post a track list on a mix he shared (due to him and his friends being less than sober at the time :rofl:) and after pointing him in the direction of some Traktors user forums mentioning it he found it.

from what I've heard even the copyright feds accept that the core task of a radio station is to make radio programmes and provided the listings aren't way out are fine about it. its changed a lot from a just over a decade ago on a British community staton when I rang up PPL and PRS with a list of dance labels and the lad there said "nah, never heard of any of them mate - don't worry, we're only after the lists off the daytime presenters :rofl:"

ihatespinach

Not 100% sure how traktor works but Virtual DJ will put the track in the history once its played for more than 30 seconds and its timestamped on the time its loaded in the player or maybe when PLAY was pressed.

Traktor does have a History playlist - hadn't thought of using that! Should solve that problem.

From what I've heard even the copyright feds accept that the core task of a radio station is to make radio programmes and provided the listings aren't way out are fine about it. its changed a lot from a just over a decade ago on a British community staton when I rang up PPL and PRS with a list of dance labels and the lad there said "nah, never heard of any of them mate - don't worry, we're only after the lists off the daytime presenters :rofl:"

Lol.. That's good to hear as I've been worried about giving them all my details when applying for a license, in case they monitor my station or keep bugging me for reports! Spoke to both PRS and PPL and like you say, it's changed a lot over the years - I used to submit cue sheets by fax when I first got into radio in the 90s!

I'm by no means a commercial venture, no sponsors, no ads, won't even be broadcasting more than 5 or 6 shows a month to start with, so really don't want licensing to mess with my hobby! I bet there are thousands of stations out there who don't even bother with licensing and PRS/ PPL don't seem to do much to monitor/ regulate things, considering they're paid money for licensing and administering rights, and then they ask YOU to be diligent about reporting to them. Bit like the tax man :D I'll happily pay for my licenses though. And will report as best I can.

Support

Level 1 Support
Staff member
I suspect not being able to hear OGG in WMP had something to do with the various bitrates you can select in Traktor? Though I did try to match to my server's 128k bit rate. WMP becomes very unstable when the stream goes wobbly - and I totally agree re. MP3 - will use it in future.

I will also keep a 'manual' eye on my playlists as auto-generated metadata can't be trusted lol..

Is there a way to log tracks played, using the IR Control Panel>View Statistics>Tracks tab?

I'm happy to use Edcast's metadata File feature (to manually update a .TXT file every time the track changes) but only if:

- the track name will be logged in my Control Panel

- File metadata doesn't overwrite stream metadata in the connection (name of stream, URL, etc)

- the audio stream isn't dropped/ impacted by updating the file and the processing of checking the file at regular intervals

- I can juggle a .TXT file while DJing!

Apologies for the delay in our reply to this, your post got lost amongst the other posts and threads... :)

As far as we know, the Ogg Vorbis codec isn't included in WMP by default. It actually needs to be installed manually: Vorbis.com: Windows Setup Therefore its not a good idea to use as forcing all of your listeners to install it is just unrealistic.

In regards to Edcast's metadata file, we believe that this will log the tracks in the control panel stats, but we do suggest that you test this out for yourself and see how you get on with it. ;)