What do people think?

GroupRadio

Going to just put this idea out there to see what peoples thoughts are. Been running a UK based Internet radio station for many years now, more or less on my own as a hobby more than anything else. Like many I now find the costs of the licences too expensive to continue as a one man presenter so to speak. Now I face a decision - either give up producing shows or find a way of covering the licence costs. Finding advertisers to cover the fees is unlikely to happen and I doubt I have enough listeners out there to ask them to pay for the costs. Plus let's be honest there are plenty of other stations out there they could listen to for fee.

So I was wondering if there would be enough support and presenters out there to for a sort of co-operative station with every presenter paying a small monthly fee to cover the licence fee? Obviously time slots would be available to members who have paid for their own shows. I could see the advantages of such an idea and I see a few disadvantages as well.

So I was wondering what peoples thoughts were and support for such an idea?

SDR Talent Scout

Great idea, but it would need to be likeminded people as the direction of the station Musically would be the driver.
If you’re in the U.K. I imagine the licensing is costing approx £450 plus royalties, (depending on listener count etc)
Not a massive amount. I’ve sent a message in conversation section with a few questions.

Sonic

If your good at getting blood out of stones your ideas may work. So many want to run their own station with no listeners and run the gauntlet with No License.
I have been doing internet radio for near two decades and paid all licenses and server fees myself. Click my donate button and moths fly out of the screen lol.
I like your Ideas and hope it can work for you. I am a Web Host and have built many radio stations, so let me know if I can help in your project.
One large established station is the answer with many listeners and DJ's. Not 10,000 with 5 or less listeners. I have seen so many come and go over the years.
Bottom line treat internet radio as a hobby, no one makes money out of it these days to cover all the costs.

Demo

If your good at getting blood out of stones your ideas may work
Sonic is spot on with that comment. Presenters do shows Voluntary so chances of getting them to contribute will be slim to zero.

If you’re in the U.K. I imagine the licensing is costing approx £450 plus royalties, (depending on listener count etc)
Not a massive amount
@Stevy6 That depends on if you broadcast to another country. (USA / Canada etc) If you do then you are required to get a licence for that country so the licence costing will increase.

Last edited: